ad: AlphaRF-1

Jetstream JT270M

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio' started by W3WN, Jan 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been asked by a friend to help him program his new Jetstream JT-270M.

I'm currently planning on using CHIRP, since I have used that app very successfully to program the Baofeng UV-5R's.

Any suggestions or "gotchas" to watch out for?

I'm also curious as to what anyone currently using the rig, mobile, thinks of it. The size of the rig would make it very convenient to mount in my vehicle, but I'd like to hear about any pitfalls before I go and spend the shekels on it.

Thanks!

73, ron w3wn

2. K3NXU

K3NXU Ham Member QRZ Page

3. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Snagged one at a hamfest this weekend. As I didn't want to type in my 120+ repeaters manually, I was gonna do my usual thing with Chirp -- read from the radio, export the file, reformat my list to match, paste it into to the file, and import it. Didn't work. Chirp kept coming up with a cryptic error and barfing / locking up when it got to a 70cm entry.

Read from the radio with the OEM software, saved the file and opened it with a text editor. Pondered the format, re-did my list to match and pasted it into the file -- viola !! Shot it over to the radio and all was well.

Talked to a friend the next morning and he said the radio sounded tinny. I looked at the Miklor site and the fix was adding a 0.1 cap across the mic element. Opened the mic last night to do the mod and discovered the rubber boot over the mic element blocks the hole in the front cover. A bit of trimming and the audio was much improved. One other complaint was the rather loud click that was transmitted when the PTT was pressed. It appears to be the PTT switch itself, to which I applied hot glue in an effort to silence it. It made a slight improvement -- but it still needs work. The volume button on the right side of the mic is easily pressed when you key the mic if you hold it a certain way.

One thing I noticed is the top (A) display is memory only -- and you have to press buttons to change memories. The bottom (B) display is memory or VFO, and you can use the numbers on the mic to key in the frequency or memory location. You'll likely want to set the font to large in order to read the bottom display.

4. N7KMK

N7KMK Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm having trouble figuring out how to program the JT270m through Chirp. I thought it would be easy like programming my Baofeng UV5r or the BF-F8HP where I download from the radio then import my previously prepared Repeater CSV file and then just upload to the radio. With the JT270m the import of the Repeater CSV file doesn't work. Any suggestions?

5. KF5FEI

Supposedly, the latest daily build of Chirp will work. Haven't tried it myself.

6. W5TAH

W5TAH Ham Member QRZ Page

How do I update my Chirp with the daily build? What are the terminal commands for Ubuntu.

7. KF5FEI

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.