ad: Schulman-1

Jerry Sevick, W2FMI - SK

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by AA7BQ, Dec 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder QRZ HQ Staff QRZ Page

Jerry Sevick, W2FMI, one of ham radio's great technical contributors, has passed away.

I received word from his family that Jerry died peacefully this past Sunday at the age of 90. I have known Jerry since 1995 while arranging for continued publication of his classic book, Transmission Line Transformers, after the ARRL decided not to do so. I was honored to be his collaborator on the current edition of that book, and the editor of several magazine articles and other manuscripts.

Jerry embodied the old-fashioned amateur spirit of innovation by experiment, applying his many years of experience as a Bell Labs researcher to a retirement project analyzing the performance of short vertical antennas. That work led him to the study of transmission line transformers, for which he became well-known in both the ham and professional radio engineering communities. He brought a little-known piece of technology to the forefront, and worried until the end whether enough people understood the principles behind the operation of these devices.

An excerpt from his obituary:

"...Jerry was a graduate of Wayne State University and a member of their Athletic Hall of Fame. He was drafted by both the Chicago Bears and Detroit Lions, but did not play professional football. He served as a pilot in the US Army Air Corps in WWII. He graduated from Harvard University, with a doctorate in Applied Physics.

Jerry taught at Wayne State University and worked as the local weather forecaster at WXYZ TV in Detroit. He worked for Bell Laboratories in Murray Hill, NJ and retired as the Director of Technical Relations. An avid Ham radio operator (W2FMI), Jerry was renowned for his research and publications related to short vertical antennas and transmission line transformers..."

Rest in Peace, Jerry,

Gary Breed
    K9AY

2. K9AUB

K9AUB Ham Member QRZ Page

This is devastating news! Everything I know about baluns, I learned from Jerry Sevick. His monumental work - and sharing - about transmission line transformers is destined to be an all-time classic of Ham - and commercial - radio. So sorry to hear of his passing.

3. WC1X

WC1X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

W2FMI

Sad to know Jerry has passed away.

I worked Jerry once on the 160 meter band (about 10 years ago) and he was a true gentleman to talk with. He was a very accomplished individual in his professional life. Technically he contributed much to amateur radio.

Marc, WC1X

4. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

It is sad to contemplate the passing of another ham radio great. I had the pleasure and honor of corresponding with Jerry early in my ham radio "career." I was pleasantly surprised that he had taken the time to personally answer my youthfully ignorant questions. I considered him one of my "gurus" along with Walt Maxwell, Jack Sobel, and R.L. Shrader.

I don't know how many of transformers of Jerry's design I've wound over the years. I know I still have dozens in my parts bins! In fact, there's one right on my desk now.

Amen, Rest in Peace, Jerry

eric

5. N8DE

N8DE Ham Member QRZ Page

Sad news

My only contact with Jerry was on 75m SSB in 1985 when we discussed at length my plans for a vertical antenna.

I pray we'll meet again in the beyond.

6. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

Jerry was a member of our club and was active on our Sunday night net until quite recently. He loved to talk about football, and some of his latest updates on getting his next book published. He was truly a gentleman and a great ham to know. Just a few years ago he came out with us on our road trip to Dayton to talk about his new book. He had a great time! It was a memorable trip. I don't think I need to go into his technical contributions as they are known around the world. Jerry will surely be missed.

Rest in Peace, Jerry.

7. G0GQK

G0GQK Ham Member QRZ Page

I once had a contact with Jerry Sevick about 1986, at the time I didn't realise that he was one among the few radio amateurs who had a deep knowledge of electronics.

G0GQK

8. WN6EBN

WN6EBN Ham Member QRZ Page

A Gentleman

In 1971 I was 12 years old and was a short wave listener, not a ham. But I would listen on the ham bands and send reception reports to hams, hoping for a QSL card. One day, I heard W2FMI having a QSO with another station, and I wrote to Jerry and asked for a QSL card.

I did not send him a SASE. I was just a kid and had no money. I was pretty naive, I guess, to hope that he would go to the personal expense and trouble of sending a QSL to me, a mere SWL who only overheard the contact, and who didn't even bother to pay for postage.

It was a beautiful QSL card, showing one of his short verticals with its extensive radial system.

Thanks, Jerry, for being very generous, and for acting in the true spirit of amateur radio.

73, Tony

9. NA0AA

NA0AA Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, he lived a full life, that's for sure, and his work will live on for him for a very long time indeed.

Thanks for all the good advice Jerry! Rest in Peace.

10. WA8FOZ

WA8FOZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

A learned scientist, a master technician, a fluent writer, a lucid teacher, and a very fine gentleman. He will be missed.

11. N0NB

N0NB Ham Member QRZ Page

Like others, he will certainly be missed. Thankfully, we have his published works to continue to learn from. R.I.P., Jerry.

12. KA5S

KA5S Ham Member QRZ Page

Another one gone.

Slainte, Jerry! People'll be saying "Sevick writes..." for a long time yet.

Cortland
    KA5S

13. VU2BGS

VU2BGS Ham Member QRZ Page

condolences

It is very sad to know that OM Jerry is no more .
    I got interested in Vertical antennas from early 70's after reading articles by him .
    He has been a great inspiration to many of us . His wonderful books will continue to keep us inspired .

God Bless his soul and may God give his family the courage to face the great loss.

with heartfelt condolences

Kumar
    VU2BGS

14. KD7ZOS

KD7ZOS Ham Member QRZ Page

Rest in Peace Jerry. Praying for your family. Late blooming ham, 65 years young, now. Would anyone be kind enough to tell me where I might get a copy of this book Jerry wrote, on Transmission Line Transformers, and how much please. Blessings to all, Tom KD7ZOS and Stay Safe!

15. VK2TIL

VK2TIL Ham Member QRZ Page

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.