Jayco Travel Trailers

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by N3AWS, Jun 21, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Where in northern CA, exactly....it can get very cold in some places, and not in other places; but where it gets cold you can go through a lot of propane.

For low-cost living I'd choose someplace warmer.

2. N7ZAL

N7ZAL Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't have a Jayco, but have full timed RV for 20 years while traveling the west and doing my research/writing. The last place I would want to be is California and there are many other states a lot more desirable.

If you plan on doing the FT approach you will eventually find yourself in the snowbird mode, staying up North in the Spring Summer and Fall...south during the winter.

You'll need to establish a domicile and currently South Dakota seems the most popular. Some do use Escapees in Texas but I'd make a good comparison before deciding on Texas. Texas has a vehicle inspection if you return to Texas.

I found North Dakota, Utah, Arizona, Montana, Wyoming, and Nevada worked well for me. You can either use a mail forwarding service (check online) or establish a PMB at a UPS store or a PO Box at a Post Office.

There are several good RV forums out there and a Google search will bring up a few good ones. If you are experienced in FTing, then the forums will be a big help. There are so many little things to learn it is impossible to cover them all.

Also, keep in mind you can boon dock for free throughout the west and some even will supply power.

Most dump stations are free.

Get the Federal Golden Pass (or whatever it is called today) and you get free camp group admissions and free dry camping in some.

You can boon dock for free on BLM land throughout the west.

Good luck and it is a great adventure!

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
  3. N7ZAL

4. KG7OTL

KG7OTL Ham Member QRZ Page

If you are stuck in a cold spot for the winter, call the local propane company and see if they will set a 120 gal tank at your site. I just filled my residential tank for $0.97 per gal. I worked for an Lp gas company for a short time and we had serveral tanks set for RV's. A 120 gal tank has no NFPA restriction on distance to buildings or equipment. You could even set it under the nose of your 5'er. Along side would be better......

5. AC6CV

AC6CV Ham Member QRZ Page

I owned a new 2012 Jayco 19RD TT for about a year. I had warranty problems they wouldn't cover. I traded it. Bad wiring in the walls with no insulation at wire joints. Bad water leaks. Otherwise the rest of the quality was better than average.

6. N3AWS

N3AWS Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been at the FAMCAMP on base at Travis (Fairfiled, CA) since end of June but can only stay 6 months max. Then I'll be moving over to Dixon. I actually use very little propane, preferring to just use electric heat for convenience. I'll keep an eye on the meter after I move to see if it's an issue. For now, electric is included in my monthly fee.

KG7OTL & AC6CV, thanks for the input!

Jim N3AWS

7. N7ZAL

Excellent point and some places do charge for electric and have higher rates for 50 amp service than 30 amp service.

Might want to keep that in mind when shopping for RV's...could be a factor in selecting a 30 amp rig?

We have always had 30 amp rigs and never found it to be a problem. Usually the service pole has a few regular 15 amp outlets in addition to to the 30/60 amp main service.

So we plug in the truck heater directly to a 15 amp outlet and the main rig goes into a 30 amp outlet. We run the entire rig on 30 amps which includes the refrigerator, separate large ice maker, separate larger freezer, AC, and two 15 amp heaters in the winter. Obviously we don't use the ice maker in the winter, and the extra freezer not much.

FYI

N3EDO likes this.