Jayco Travel Trailers

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by N3AWS, Jun 21, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. N3AWS

N3AWS Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi everybody!

I recently bought a 2013 Jayco White Hawk 31 foot bumper-pull.

Anyone have any experience with Jayco trailers? I'll be living in it in Northern CA mostly until I retire Oct 1, 2019 unless I retire earlier. It seems to be much sturdier than my Class C was.

Looking forward to hearing everyone's experiences and opinions!

Jim N3AWS

2. WA5RF

WA5RF Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Jim,

I owned a 2004 29 foot Jayco Jay Flight trailer for 5 years. I thought the build quality was good and it never let us down. We would take it to the Gulf coast and various COE and state parks in Texas. Just used it on vacations though, didn't live in it full time. Never had a problem with it except for a tire blow out coming home from a trip once. I would buy a Jayco again without hesitation. Enjoy your White Hawk!

Rich

3. N3AWS

Hi Rich WA5RF:

Thank you for a very informative reply!

Do you still RV? I'm thinking of fulltiming once I retire.

73, Jim N3AWS

4. WA5RF

WA5RF Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, still making RV trips. Back in 2010 I found a good deal on a 2003 35 foot motorhome and that's what we use now. In fact I just got back from a trip with the family. Went from Austin, TX up to Pennsylvania's Poconos area and back.

I don't know much about fulltiming. If you have not heard of the Escapees RV Club you may want to check out their web site: https://www.escapees.com/aboutus. They have some good info and resources for people that fulltime.

5. VK5UK

VK5UK Ham Member QRZ Page

+1 for WA5RF's comment re escapees RV club, I RV full time here in VK, also have a rig in the US we try to get out there every year and am a member of escapees.
    Good Sams is also worthwhile joining for discounts etc, you can join at camping world. Enjoy your RVing. 73 Richard VK5UK

6. N3AWS

Hi Richard,

The trip from West TX to Northern CA went well. The White Hawk is a great rig. There is a military RV club called SMART that I am looking at joining.

I must say I am disappointed in the Travis Famcamp, though.

7. W4RLR

W4RLR Ham Member QRZ Page

My Jayco Eagle fifth-wheel is now approaching twenty-one years old. I recently rebuilt all of the systems and put on a new roof. It should be good for another twenty years. The Jayco people build a good product.

8. N3AWS

Thanks Richard,

I am impressed with my Jayco. I continue to discover features that demonstrate the company's commitment to quality.

9. KA5CDO

KA5CDO Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a Jayco 1997. Do a lot of traveling. It had nylon bushings for the suspension bolts. They wore out and caused a lot of grief before I found out what was eating my tires. The documentation for the trailer did not mention anything about the bushings. If you have 15 inch ST tires, replace them. They are Chinese and are no good. Replace with 16 inch LT, 8pyl. Replace suspension with bronze inserts and replace shackles with stiffer ones. By the time I did all of this I had about 18 blowouts from poorly manufactured tires. It eventually cost me about 4 thousand dollars from the tire failure. Good luck with your Jayco, I'd never buy another.

10. KG7OTL

KG7OTL Ham Member QRZ Page

X2 about the ST tires. St = special trailer. Speed rating 65mph.
    expected life 5000 mi. If you can replace with LT's, do it! IMO, A mostly used up LT is better than a new ST. 15" 8ply tires are difficult to find, 16's are much easier to get.