Java....what an abominable language

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by KL7AJ, Jul 24, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh and BTW to get back on topic...

UCSD Pascal was the Java of the day. Remember p-code?

I remember running an Ada compiler, on a UCSD image, running on a 6502 emulator, on a Pr1me minicomputer, over a 300 baud modem, through a Gandalf terminal multiplexer, to the terminal program on my Apple ][ clone... What a nightmare.

2. K1SZO

K1SZO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

All languages have their problem and Java is no different. That said, Java is an extremely robust language and platform to develop on. Today's Java is way faster than earlier iterations to boot. In a previous employment we developed a high frequency options trading platform that ran on Java. (platform and trading side) If it were slow, that wouldn't have ever happen.

On the systems side, I've written almost everything in Python since 1999. It's a fantastic language, but it too has it warts. That doesn't even remotely mean it's a bad language. In fact, it's by far my favorite language due to how simple and fast you can develop in it.

In my current position we mainly use three languages.
    1. Python (system / application glue, automation, monitoring, etc)
    2. Java (items that require high speed multi-threading. For instance API brokers)
    3. JavaScript (Primary website (Salesforce Commerce Cloud), NodeJS, applications)
    All of them are great languages, all of them have warts.

3. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

I wonder how many computer "experts" today would even know what that means, much less HOW to do that.:rolleyes:

4. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

You laugh, but it looks great ony resume!

Although, isn't the usual advice to drop everything off the resume that is 40, 30, 20... 15 years old... ?

5. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Perhaps. Nowadays, people don't stay in the same job for 40, 30, 20 ... or 15 years. Even 40, 30, 20,... 15 MONTHS is a record for longevity. (I worked one job where I survived FIVE stuporvisors [sic] in three years. Not all left voluntarily..)