Java....what an abominable language

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by KL7AJ, Jul 24, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

There was supposed to be one as of March. Personally, I can't stand that pig. The biggest bloatware imaginable, comically fragile, bizarrely cryptic, yearly planned obsolescence updates that break old code. They were in love with it at my last job... So much so that any glitch would bring down the entire factory.

N0TZU likes this.
  2. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I hope you’re joking.

I had to deal with it once on a production test. It *might* be ok for a quick bench test setup by someone who needs to be isolated from code by icons and cartoon animation, but for anything serious in production it’s a disaster. I found it almost impossible to debug.

But not to worry, NI has expensive consultant services just a phone call away and they will be happy to wade through it for a big fat fee.

N1OOQ likes this.
  3. N1OOQ

Oh yah, that too.

N0TZU likes this.
  4. WA9ZZZ

WA9ZZZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I was going to mention that NI has a home edition of LabView for only $50, but I checked and they now show a "Community" edition of LabView that is free.

I used to work at a research lab where Matlab was very popular but a few people did use LabView. I never worked with it enough to get very familiar.

5. KX4OM

KX4OM Ham Member QRZ Page

BASIC for me. I learned it on a 300 Baud TTY terminal logged in after hours to the university's mini-mainframe downtown in 1980. Progressed to a Sinclair ZX-81 and Atari 400 (with a repurposed TTY keyboard mounted on it) to AppleSoft Basic on a IIc. What a beautiful, readable language. Fast forward to 1998 and grad school...and Java. What a mess of object-oriented hooey. Whatever happened to "All things should be as simple as possible, but no simpler." - A. Einstein.

Yeah, I'm an old dog. I think I peaked about 1990.

Ted, KX4OM

KB0MNM, KK4NSF and N1OOQ like this.
  6. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah I used Matlab too and a little C. Nobody in R&D that I know used LabView, almost all used Matlab. Some used Python, some Visual Basic here and there (yuk), one or two used Pascal.

7. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Labview just makes a binary blob. Not human readable. Not machine readable either. So check ins to source code control do not show the diffs, what's changed.

Matlab / octave at least shows sources code.

It's worse than BASIC and not as good as Perl.

8. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

For what it's worth, all the antenna steering and transmitter control at HAARP was done with Labview, as well as at HIPAS, the predecessor to HAARP.
    For actually CONTROLLING stuff, it's pretty easy to reconfigure. For the actual data analysis, we mainly used MATLAB.

KB0MNM likes this.
  9. N1OOQ

I wouldn't even touch that. You get this enormous file manager thing as part of the install. You have to be very very careful not to handle any labview apps without it, like by using the standard Windows uninstall or whatever. Failure to heed this breaks labview updates, and once broken you can't uninstall and start over... Your only choice is complete wipe and reinstall of Windows and labview.

10. W5UAA

W5UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

I taught Java to my AP students when I was teaching high school.

What people forget is that Java was originally created to run under a web browser.

It's very similar to C/C++ in syntax.

What's the worst thing about Java? Can't delete an object once you create it. Can't give memory back to the OS once you've taken it. (it's called "memory leakage.") Java is a severe memory leaker. The only way to give memory back to the OS is to kill the program... (close the web browser.)

Java's not designed to run 24/7 as a server. That's the worst thing about Java.

If you use Java as intended, it's not a bad language to learn, especially as a first language. Especially since the run time library and the interpreter are free to download.

Edit: I actually had some students get passing scores on the AP exam first year I taught it!