ad: Alphaant-1

Japan's Class 4 ham radio licence

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Oct 11, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

I've worked West Virginia from the parking lot of a popular Connecticut Beach--maybe 20 feet above sea level--400 miles on 10GHz CW.

Zak W1VT

2. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

So why even bother with licenses then? Why require one at all?

Dave
    W7UUU

3. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

We're just aware of them more now that we have the Internet and everyone has a platform to show their best/worst.

Perhaps the ratio of hams/prima-donna types has always been the same.

Before the 'Zed, I sure didn't know as many of either.

4. ZL4IV

ZL4IV Ham Member QRZ Page

When I was restricted to above 50Mhz the high orbiter satellites kept me engaged in the hobby. Limited power but high gain antennas taught me so much. Ten watts got me out to MA100+ on many of the birds. Bring back the Molynia orbits, GEO doesn't teach you tracking, beam width power ratio, varying power and receive loss etc. LEO's while accessible with lower grade licenses don't stir the passion of talking to other cultures, forget about digital, has humans we are programed to pick out the nature of voice and all the personality indicators that come with it. HEO's SSB transponders would encourage so many to upgrade to HF as another tool to verbally communicate with other Hams of a different culture.

Just saying.

5. 4X1ST

4X1ST XML Subscriber QRZ Page

6. VK3VM

VK3VM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow what a bunfight here ! Typical of the way that Amateurs play with each other.

G R O W U P !!! Smell the roses. Work TOGETHER to KEEP ON SMELLING THE ROSES. Support ALL AR EFFORTS ....

I restate I am a HF man; yet I spend a considerable amount of effort trying to save VHF, UHF and SHF modes that Amateurs use. I will never use most UHF and SHF as my interests and resources do not lie here- but If I do not support these efforts then where will be the users of these bands be when HF is attacked with technologies that I have seen and have participated in the development of ???

I am also very much a QRO man; yet I also actively support QRP and SOTA rights ! QRO is QRP's greatest ally !

As I stated the infighting and bitchiness is what is driving AR backwards. The base story here DEMONSTRATES how entry level licenses CAN BE AND ARE a success.

Yet the warning is there and is heard loudly ... we cannot give access to AR spectrum via tokens in "Cornflakes Boxes"....

HAM - Help All mankind. And drop the arrogance. Work together ! Support each other. Use stories like the one here to unify and focus on the positives and advancement !!!!

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    CT3250, AG5DB, W9EBE and 1 other person like this.
  7. JL1DCA

JL1DCA Ham Member QRZ Page

It is widely known ten-watt-powered, Japanese-made radios sold at home are fairly limited compared to class-4 licencees in number.

JL1DCA (class 2)

8. VK3VM

VK3VM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes... who with an intro licence buys a 10W radio ! They are sold predominantly to those with higher classes of licence and used with amps ;-)

9. JL1DCA

JL1DCA Ham Member QRZ Page

A 10-watt exciter will sure answer the best to drive a Kw when thinking of the cost.
    I'd suppose Ham dealers in Akihabara don't have 10watt models in stock.

JL1DCA

10. W5TXR

W5TXR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Late 50s? I think this news is ooohhhhhh about 60 years too late??

JQ1MSQ and JL1DCA like this.
  11. W9EBE

W9EBE Subscriber QRZ Page

Perhaps you should say, "Because (most) people follow the power limit rules on bands like 30m and 60m just like they're told to do all the time." As an avid 30m CW op, I sometimes wonder when I hear some U.S. stations calling a rare DX station in the heat of a pileup and their signals are way above the normal level of 200W stations using multi-element yagis. Just sayin'.

Getting back to the OP, thank you for the information. And I applaud you, VK3VM, for your positive and constructive comments. Well said!

12. KI1Y

KI1Y Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It's a mixed bag of benefits and liabilities but I don't believe taking the risk of intra/inter-band interference and misuse from what are basically sub-amateurs is a sound decision. It invites laziness in an age where people don't need an excuse to be unmotivated.

13. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

W6KKO and N2EY like this.
  14. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Anyone with a license can't be a "sub-amateur", since having a license is what defines an "amateur radio operator". A sub-amateur might be a CBer or GMRS operator that has some interest in ham radio, but has never studied for, or taken the test.

I'm not sure what this has to do with laziness, since that has always existed in all walks of life, including amateur radio.

15. W6KKO

W6KKO Ham Member QRZ Page

Hmm...I am now curious about how many current Station Licenses there are in Japan. (Not operator licenses)

Additionally, this thread has provided a few more to the ignore list. Selective squelch is very nice.