Japanese Silent Key member trace

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by PETERAUS, Jan 2, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
  1. PETERAUS

PETERAUS QRZ Member

Dear radio ham operator in Japan,

My name is Peter, and I live in Australia. My father, now a silent key for some years now, was a radio ham operator VK5ZX, post war time. He struck up a close friendship with Toru...., call sign JH2QBQ, as I recall. Their period of friendship was in the 60s and 70s. On the birth of my father's first granddaughter (my eldest) and grandson he gifted my father with lovely Japanese dolls. These are now treasured family possessions. I suspect with the passage of time Toru is also now a silent key.

I'm currently making a video of my recent hiking the Kumano Kodo in Japan, which I undertook in memory of my late father. I'm wanting to feature the Japanese doll, but I don't know Toru's other name, or in which Prefecture or city/town he lived. Information that I would like to include in the video.

So, I'm wondering if any radio ham operator in Japan might have access to past records of Toru....., that might answer my questions?

Thanking you in anticipation of someone being able to help.

I can be best contacted at: heath.pm@gmail.com

With best wishes for this new year.

peter

W5PFG likes this.
  2. K2HAT

K2HAT QRZ Volunteer Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

3. K2HAT

K2HAT QRZ Volunteer Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

4. PETERAUS

PETERAUS QRZ Member

Hi Lee,
    Thank you for your postings, responding to my request. I appreciate the research effort you have made. And from the distant United States, too. Impressed.

I'm still looking through the translations of the boat excursions JH2QBQ made around Japan. A bit of a seafarer/fisherman too.
    I'll see if I can sight his name Toru, as that would give certainty to his surname. The latest trips seem quite recent, like only a few years back. So, possibly has not reached silent key status???? Don't know if anyone else can confirm that?

Funny, reading your bio Lee, I went down memory lane on my listening in on my father's operating, especially through my teenage years. Your expressions triggered my recollections...... Somehow I can recall the name Toru and his call sign, like it's etched forever in my memory. But I never took up being a radio ham myself.

Looking back at that era, the 60s and 70s. It wasn't long after WW2 finished. And to have two radio hams, one Japanese one Australian, exchanging communications, shows the power of technology to cross boundaries. Especially, as my father served in the RAAF as a radio operator and was posted in northern Australia during those war years, as the Japanese armed services were attacking Australia. Shows an Australian character......

Anyway, Lee, thanks so much for adding to my reminiscing.

Will see what any others might be able to add.

As those in the know, say, 73s.

peter

K2HAT likes this.