ad: Sussex-1

James W. Smith, W6VCE

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by WA6HYQ, Oct 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. WA6HYQ

WA6HYQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey! Anyone remember Jim Smith, W6VCE in San Diego a notorious guy who used and sometimes abused the 146.640 MHz SANDRA Otay Repeater? Jim was many things to lots of people. One thing he was, visionary! Jim once told me that in 1959 he had a vision that people would have radios in their cars and would need repeaters on mountain tops to communicate. So he went to the BLM and Forest Service and got 99 year leases on some of the prime radio sites in Southern California and started Mountain Relay Communications. Over the years he also licensed 800 MHz channels which he like many others sold them to Nextel for LOTS of money, not only he but his wife Seal had 800 channels. I can go on but I'm interested in how many people remember Jim Smith, W6VCE and what stories they have.

Some of Jim's favorite sayings:
    "Jimmy!"
    "Suicide Jimmy!"
    "Buy yourself a CB!"
    "Those Dronkies are jamming again!"

What do you remember?

2. W6VCE

W6VCE Ham Member

Slow down there little John. I ain't really dead. That's just a nasty rumor the DR0NK's have been spreading around for the past few years.

I plan to make a comeback. You just wait and see.

W6VCE
    "Ripple Ridge in the Sky"

3. WD6FKF

WD6FKF Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh Jimmy, I guess they messed up again!

Jimmy,

you will always live on in the hearts of those of us who loved you. Oh sure you were a pain in the dummyload but we enjoyed your humor and radio is just not the same without you. Perhaps if we're lucky you'll make an appearence on the old 04/64 for New Years Eve or something..

Buy yourself a CB.. W6VCCCB... :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.