ad: elecraft

James "Jim" Allen, W6OGC, SK 11/2/2018

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by KD2QET, Nov 7, 2018.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KD2QET

KD2QET Ham Member QRZ Page

Jim Allen, W6OGC, passed peacefully last Friday at his Texas home following a lengthy illness. Even when his health curtailed his own operations, Jim was always willing to offer invaluable advice, insight, and encouragement to others in the hobby. He was a longtime and skilled DX operator and once co-published a compilation of the West Coast DX Bulletin's issues after that publication was no more. Jim was a man of many and diverse talents, interests and accomplishments-- a Navy officer, att0rney, successful businessman, musician and a licensed Ham since the 1950s-- and a profoundly thoughtful, kind, and unassuming gentleman.

Although my own contact with him was brief, Jim's encouragement and advice was a major source of my interest in the hobby. I suspect that legions of others can make the same claim.

2. KJ4RT

KJ4RT Ham Member QRZ Page

I cannot mention here where I was acquainted with him. However I looked forward to his posts because of his wisdom. I only recently learned he co published a periodical dealing with ham radio. My only regret is I never got a chance to meet him face to face. What I knew of him I thought highly of him.

3. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

James M. Allen, Sr, W6OGC SK

[​IMG]

James M. (Mickey) Allen died on November 2, 2018 at his home in New Braunfels after a long struggle with pulmonary fibrosis. A Memorial service will be held on November 17, 2018 at the First United Methodist Church, New Braunfels, at 10:00 a.m. If you wish to honor Jim’s memory, a contribution in his name to a Longhorn Band scholarship fund or the Pulmonary Fibrosis Foundation would be appreciated.

Mickey, or Jim as he was known in his later life, was born on October 28, 1945 to Jimmie and Bobbie Allen in Houston, Texas. The Allen family moved to New Braunfels in September, 1949, where Jimmie Allen owned and operated Tip Top Cleaners until 1983.

He attended school in New Braunfels at Carl Schurz Elementary School, Seele Elementary School, and NB Junior and Senior high school, graduating in 1964. He graduated from the University of Texas at Austin with a BBA in Finance. While attending UT Austin he played tuba in the Longhorn Band and the Hi-Toppers Orchestra and continued years later playing in the Longhorn Alumni Band and the New Braunfels Community Band. He earned his Juris Doctor degree from Western State University School of Law in 1975.
    After graduation from college Jim received a commission in the U S Naval Reserve and was stationed at the FACSFAC in San Diego, California. He remained in the U S Naval Reserve for 19 years.

Jim was an amateur radio operator since 1959, call sign K5VET, and later W6OGC when he moved to San Diego, California. He was a life member of the American Radio Relay League. He remained an active amateur radio operator until his death.

After practicing law in California for a number of years he founded several companies in the real estate and finance industry. He retired in 2013 and moved back with Martine to New Braunfels to be close to his family and to renew acquaintances with his many high school friends.

Jim was preceded in death by his parents, James R. and Bobbie Allen of New Braunfels, and his sister Kay Conerly of Kerrville.

He is survived by his wife, Martine Cardin-Allen, and his sons James M. Allen, Jr. (Stacy) of Stuttgart, Germany and John M. Allen (Bianca) of San Diego, California, grandchildren Marea Allen and Sonja Allen also of San Diego, California, his brother Charles T. Allen (Ann) of New Braunfels, Texas and his only and beloved sister Carol Spracklen (Larry) of Arlington, Texas, as well as numerous nieces and nephews.
    http://herald-zeitung.com/obituaries/article_0dd184bc-e3ad-11e8-b222-a78669060ec1.html