ad: CQMM-1

Jamaica - No more Morse code for radio operators, technicians

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W1SAR, Jun 13, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. NN6EE

NN6EE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

AH GEEEZZZ OB!!! Chill OUT!!! I'VE ACCOMPLISHED everything I've wanted to in DXCC & contesting, I did go the extra step (NO PUN INTENDED) but you DON'T NEED THE "NO-CODE EXTRA" (WHO BY THE WAY AREN'T EVEN USING THEIR "EXCLUSIVE PARTS of the bands in most instances ANYWAY!!! Even MAJOR DX-Peditions KNOW TO INCREASE Q-TOTALS TO JUSTIFY THEIR MEGA-EFFORT + EXPENSE OPERATE SPLIT TO GET MORE STATIONS THAN JUST EXTRAS, meaning above ".025"!!!

2. KJ8T

KJ8T Ham Member QRZ Page

So I stumbled on this convo after having a discussion with friends tonight re. hams in Dominica and whether any of them were up and running after Hurricane Maria last night. I have a US Amateur Extra class license but I live in 6Y (Jamaica). Because I live here (as opposed to being a visitor) I am not eligible for a temporary reciprocal license, and because of both the code requirements and the very arcane, bureaucratic and poorly documented licensing process, I had given up on operating from here.

I completely missed this in the local news, so this has inspired me to revisit getting licensed.

While we do have valid health & safety motivations for licensing more operators (as illustrated by the recent and ongoing hurricanes in our region), we also have a need as a nation to interest more young people in STEM topics such as amateur radio. It is a very expensive hobby here (average income is WAY less than developed countries, radios and equipment cost double and more because of shipping, custom duties and permits required) so anything that will reduce the barriers to entry is welcome.

N1BCG likes this.