Jack Anderson's 1970s-era Ham vs CB Editorial

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K4KYV, Oct 10, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Interesting.....how is cell phone coverage at the new QTH?

Some music from the CB and repeater boom era:

You're welcome.

73 de Jim, N2EY

2. W9AMM

W9AMM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

CB radio is just another tool in the box. For example, I own two Jeep Wranglers and love to go off-road. Most Jeepers have CB's to communicate with one another while on the trail. Having a ham radio in the Jeep(s) really doesn't get the job done like a CB.

With that said, one Jeep is equipped with both and I try to show others the advantages of UHF/VHF compared to a CB, and am beginning to see more Jeeps with ham radios.

Having an elitist attitude really doesn't advance ham radio.

W7UUU likes this.
  3. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Cell coverage is "just OK" - only good on the upper floor of the house for the most part. Unfortunately the lower floor office where I work all day has very poor coverage. I have a delineated area on my desk I have to keep the iPhone in case someone calls. My cell voice mail in fact states "please call the office line" for the very reason my iPhone could be in the wrong spot! 4G data can be pretty spotty.

But "cable" internet on the other hand (via Wave Broadband) is astounding!! 260 MB/second !! who knew you'd have to move out to the country to get "fiber to your door" LOL!

Dave
    W7UUU

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
    N2EY likes this.
  4. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I agree. It's "just RF". I have a couple actual CB radios around - no dedicated antennas though. If spot-listening bears out activity, I'll make a point to add 27 MHz to the shack lineup, just as "one more way to communicate if I had to"

So over the weekend, I'll just collect some data points on what I hear on CH 19 vs. 146.52 and just make notes on what I hear. Might be interesting to have some actual sample data.

Dave
    W7UUU

WD4IGX, N1VAU and W9AMM like this.
  5. N1VAU

N1VAU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't live within CB range of major trucking routes so nothing much is on CH 19.

During long distance travel I have found CB 19 helpful with information regarding what lane is open through the traffic back up and what to expect for delays on major travel routes. In my experience 52 doesn't provide any of that.

Locals around here seem to gather on CH 32 AM and 36 LSB for NETS 2X a week.

CB is a tool in the box, the go box especially. How else can we communicate with the supply truckers during the zombie apocalypse?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
    KC8YLT likes this.
  6. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder Administrator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

N2EY, KM1H,

Which part of this vitriolic back and forth between you is of interest to the general public? Its clear to me that only the most ardent rubber-neckers will stop to see this train wreck of a discussion.

I'm not happy with either of you. I haven't read the entirety of what you have posted because, TLDR. Frankly, I don't need to see what lead up to this crash site, I only need to take note of its aftermath. Did I miss someone besides N2EY and KM1H? Well, sorry, because this goes to you as well.

I had a discussion with our moderators recently regarding the question "When is it appropriate to shut a thread down?". There are many reasons, but at the top is this: Shut down any discussion that gives either QRZ or the hobby as a whole, a bad image. While this thread is mostly fine, there are parts of it which start to make people uncomfortable, and those passages are associated with the two of you.

Here's a key concept for you: It's okay to disparage an argument, but it isn't okay to disparage the person making it. Whenever I see dialog of this type, I look for the keyword "YOU". When a discussion uses the word "YOU" in a back-and-forth argument, then it's personal and by definition, prohibited here on QRZ.

Be careful how you reply to this posting, because I don't care "who started it" or anything else about the timeline. As I said, I only look at the outcome, which in this case is an undeniable train wreck. Don't bother showing prospective new hams this discussion, because anybody with any sense will simply, and rightly, flee.

-fred

KM1H and N2EY like this.
  7. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder Administrator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

CB Radio is DEAD, DEAD, DEAD. All of the angina over it is obsolete because for all intents and purposes, it had a fork stuck into it several years ago when truckers got cell phones, GPS, and XM Radio, and for others the sunspot cycle largely killed off 11M "skip".

I've driven 50,000 miles over the US highways over the past decade, and my motorhome had a factory installed CB. I kept it on channel 19 for a couple of years, but eventually turned it off since the static was about all there was to offer.

I was once a big rig trucker, back in the 1970's. Every single truck had a CB, and every one of them a prominent antenna on one or both mirror mounts. Just watch the trucks going by today and you'll note that only a few have antennas, and those are the older drivers and owner/operators who are nearing retirement.

The NEW CB is GMRS. 462 Mhz was where the original CB should have started. GMRS offers great performance and repeaters are allowed. There is no test, and the the license costs $7 per year. Used commercial equipment is cheap and plentiful. What's notable about GMRS is that I don't know of a single ham complaining about it. It is simply not a concern for us. That's how we should regard 11M too.

-fred

KA4DPO, N2UHC, N1VAU and 3 others like this.
  8. KC8YLT

KC8YLT Ham Member QRZ Page

Dave, a lot of the truck traffic around there is on ch17 that is the channel a lot of drivers on the west coast use. I can remember when I was out there at Ft Lewis hearing all kinds of riff raff on ch 17. There was a local in Tacoma causing problems with a lot of the other locals and drivers back then.

9. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

That is correct. 17 will get you more "colorful metaphors" than any other channel. Just ask any current or former (like me) driver.

Good luck with all that. Although you may be far enough away that you won't get much of that.

KA4DPO and KC8YLT like this.
  10. KC8YLT

KC8YLT Ham Member QRZ Page

Channel 17 back in the mid 90s was a mad house around the Tacoma area when I was there but at the same time I can remember hearing a lot of local activity on 40m and 75m too. I was stationed out there then and living in the barracks, didn't get to listen to much HF then.