J Pole fire hazard ? (wife made me ask)

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KN4HZJ, Dec 6, 2017 at 4:23 PM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. NH7RO

NH7RO Ham Member QRZ Page

Aha! That's why the OP's wife had to ask!

I must amend my earlier statement to read: "A J-pole is both a common-mode hazard and a fire hazard.":eek:

KC8VWM likes this.
  2. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

And end-fed random wires, which they call "end-fed long wires."

KC9VFO, KS4W, KC8VWM and 1 other person like this.
  3. NH7RO

You read my mind, Dan!

4. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

I mean, I am a ham and have never heard of a copper pipe J-pole catching something on fire before, so where do people get this stuff from?

No really.. where is this kind of information coming from?

If I wasn't a ham and seen a J-pole for the first time, the very last thing I would start thinking about is it catching other things on fire. Lol.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017 at 6:11 PM
    KC9VFO and NH7RO like this.
  5. WF4W

WF4W XML Subscriber QRZ Page

my great grandma was afraid of the remote control. She thought the laser would catch her house on fire. . .

NH7RO and KC8VWM like this.
  6. AI0K

AI0K Ham Member QRZ Page

Keep the J-Pole and ditch the XYL. :)

Jerry, AI0K

7. KQ0J

KQ0J Ham Member QRZ Page

W7UUU sez: " Not sure why J-Poles are so popular - they're not a very good antenna compared to a ground plane."

Well my personal experience is I took a 1/4 W 2M Ground Plane down and replaced it with an Arrow J-pole. I took S meter readings on a dozen repeaters, 5 weather stations on 162.XX and then swapped antennas and took the same readings - maybe 5 minutes later. Every single station came in with a significantly stronger reading on the j-pole. I am not sure if you are quoting some theoretical gain, but in reality, my experience has been different. And its dual band as well.

W7ADC and WG8Z like this.
  8. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

James Thurber wrote he had a grandmother who would run out of the house every time a light bulb broke in a socket, because she thought the house would fill up with electricity and explode.

NH7RO likes this.
  9. NH7RO

Wow! Exactly the same reason I switched over to all LED lighting in my house, too!

10. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Ditch the J-Pole, ditch the XYL, and get a phased array at 70 feet ... on all bands :rolleyes:

Dave
    W7UUU

AI0K and NH7RO like this.