j-38

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by K5VZD, Apr 12, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. K5VZD

K5VZD Ham Member QRZ Page

yeah theres a bunch of cheap immitations….. my j-37 is also beside me on the shelf..

N2SUB likes this.
  2. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've got a collection of J-37 keys in their various forms. My attraction to them started when my Dad found a key that belonged to my grandfather. It's not a typical J-37, and my Grandfather was a tinkerer so I figured he modified it. It turns out that it's out of a "Plug and Key Assembly Number 9". It took me a while to track that down. It was in pretty rough shape, but I cleaned it up and gave it back to my Dad. Here's the before and after:

upload_2019-4-17_10-3-24.png

upload_2019-4-17_10-4-8.png

Notice there are no thumb screws on the outside on the key. That was because this flavor of J-37 was mounted in a metal box, like a flameproof key. The box is lost to history, but there's no telling where the key was before it got to my Grandfather.

Plug and Key assembly Number 9:
    upload_2019-4-17_10-9-21.png
    upload_2019-4-17_10-10-14.png

WB5YUZ, W5BIB and KQ4MM like this.
  3. N7KO

N7KO Ham Member QRZ Page

Look on ebay, there was a fellow selling them awhile back.

4. K5VZD

K5VZD Ham Member QRZ Page

tks 73 tom

5. W4AUT

W4AUT Ham Member QRZ Page

I have two you can have Sir. Will mail to your address on your QRZ page. Steve 73's

6. KD1W

KD1W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've used both as well and would probably use the J-38 over the J-37. I've got 9 of the J-37 keys in one of the WWII Signal Corps AN/GSC-TIA Code Training Sets. The wiring in the set probably needs some work but it is still all in one piece except for the one missing key.

N2SUB likes this.
  7. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The J37 is special.....most people either love it or hate it. I think my background as a drummer drew me to it. It has a stiff, consistent response that never gets squishy. :) I have a bunch of J38s too, but they are 'rare' if there is such a thing and are part of my collection. They don't see much use.

8. KD1W

KD1W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It is definitely just personal preference with stuff like this. I have not spent a lot of time on the J-37. That could be part of the problem. I think the more you use a key the more you get used to them and like (maybe even love) them!