For Sale J-38 (MAYBE) with BOX

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Gear For Sale' started by K2LGO, Aug 11, 2018.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: l-BCInc
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. K2LGO

K2LGO Ham Member QRZ Page

Not quite sure what this is....The key looks like a J-38 key, but it is all steel....the base is wooden, and not home made...its to perfect...the box of course is a LIONEL box, and on the front it says SIGNAL CORPS U.S. ARMY...KEY...J-38...FILE #13946-PHILA-43...Made by THE LIONEL CORPORATION NEW YORK, N.Y.
    Now none of this is unusual except I would expect to see a beautiful brass J-38 in the box, instead of this steel key...The decal on the bottom of the base of the key is 3/4 missing, but it has part of what looks like an L, so this indeed may be a Lionel key....I am pricing this high, until I get someone more knowledgeable than I who might fill me in on this oddity....$75.00 J38-BOX.jpg J-38 BACK.jpg J-38 BACK.jpg J-38 BACK.jpg J38-BOX.jpg J-38 BACK.jpg

2. K9ZMD

K9ZMD Subscriber QRZ Page

s-l500.jpg signal electric.jpg
    It looks to be a basic telegraph key made by the SIGNAL ELECTRIC CO, but it is missing a couple of jumper wires on the underside. I've attached a large picture showing a similar one with the Signal Electric Company decal topside; I found it on a web page by W1TP. The attached thumbnail is a different example, positioned to show the jumper wires (pic from a popular auction site).

The Lionel box is nice, but unrelated. It may be of interest to a Lionel key collector.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    N4FZ and N4ENE like this.
  3. WB8LZG

WB8LZG Ham Member QRZ Page

You have a Signal Electric key, made in Menomenee, Mich. the box is not for this key, but is still a FB collectors piece. GL OM 73 Gregg

WA2GZW and N4ENE like this.
  4. K2LGO

K2LGO Ham Member QRZ Page

TNX Gregg for filling me in on my SIGNAL ELECTRIC KEY....as I told another gentleman who also told me it was a SE key, mine has no brass hardware, as is pictured in the key you got from W1TP, and no brass shorting bar.....just wondering...As you can see the one I have I acquired from a very damp basement.....73/BOB/K2LGO

5. QRZ
    Important Rules
    Have you read our Swapmeet Safety Rules?

This forum enforces a set of buying/selling safety rules for the benefit of all users. Make sure that you're familiar with the rules before posting or replying in this area. Our moderators review every post in this forum and will flag or delete those that do not conform.