ad: M2Ant-1

J-37 on J-44 base

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by WB5YUZ, Jul 28, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I recently paid about thirty-forty percent too much for the key described above.

It was for sale in an antique store. The store is closing in a few days, and I had been watching the key for years to see if I could get the price down from $145.

This particular store is located (in part) where the Radio Shack was in Allandale Center for so many years. Bill Knesek, whose call I can't remember, ran that store for many years. He was a fellow Texas Bohemian and also spoke a little Czech, and though we weren't related, I was always welcome to hang out there.

It was there that I met "Piper" Dyer from the Packer Jack Show; he was a friend of Bill's and used to come in and play the keyboards in the store. It was also where I bought parts and odds and ends for the two stations I put together in Austin. I had worked at a Radio Shack owned by a mutual acquaintance, who was also a ham, and Bill always told me I could come to him if I ever really needed a job (amazingly, I never did need to take him up on it).

Bill's house was located either on Duval or Avenue B just north of Koenig. For many years his tribander was there to greet hams arriving in Austin from the east on 290.

When I found out the antique store was closing, I couldn't resist one more chance to buy a bit of radio gear on that spot, even if Bill and the Radio Shack were long gone. So I gladly paid the extra thirty bucks or so.

What the hell. I did finally get it for less than $145, and at least the guy running the antique store let me test it before I bought it, more than you can do on e-bay...

2. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, congratulations on your new key. You did overpay by quite a bit, but if it is a memory for you, who cares! The J-37 is one of my favorite keys. I have many, but I do not have a J-44. Now, get the darn thing on the air. :)