ad: qroparts

IZ2UUF Morse Koch CW V2.0 - Public release

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by IZ2UUF, Feb 10, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. IZ2UUF

IZ2UUF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello dear friends.

The IZ2UUF Morse Koch CW V2.0 application has been released to the general public.
    It required a major rewriting both to add new features and to comply to the now very restrictive Google Android rules. Being seven years old, the App wasn't going to be supported by Google Play anymore.
    The app has several new features (see https://www.iz2uuf.net/cw/whatsnew.php for the up-to-date list) and it has undergone more than three months of beta testing. For this reason I would like to thank the 134 beta testers whose feedback has been invaluable.

This app has quite a lot of installations (it is in the 50.000+ range). Once released to the public, for unknown reasons some updates did not go well and the new application seems not to work correctly.
    Unfortunately, about this issue I got only a few reports full of anger but, other than that, absolutely useless since they were just reporting something like "the application is not working well" without explaining what they expected and what it actually did to upset them. The new application is designed to do at least all the things the old one did exactly in the same way, so if it doesn't, something went wrong.

During the beta testing we got some crashes on installation that were resolved by uninstalling the old one and clean installing the new one. Probably some persistent data was corrupted.

If you want to help, please report your thoughts to me by mailing me at cw@iz2uuf.net, thanks.

For whom do not like the new version, the old one is still available for download at https://www.iz2uuf.net/cw/download.php. Simply uninstall the new and install the apk.

Thanks
    Vy 73 de Davide IZ2UUF

W9RAC likes this.
  2. KG7WGX

KG7WGX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

No offense intended, but I do not understand why this app needs full network access, phone status and ID permissions.

There are other Morse apps which only need access to storage and files.

3. IZ2UUF

Hello KG7WGX.

Network access is used to download the small banner in the non-pro version, a short notice text I can activate to announce short news and some other network interactive features not yet available on the current public version.
    The phone status is required to stop the exercise when when the phone is ringing due to an incoming call.
    The reason for asking the phone status is explained in the main screen when you start the application:

Screenshot_1549830871.png

It is also explained in the FAQ: https://www.iz2uuf.net/cw/faq.php

If you deny this permissions, the application will still work but it will not notified when your phone rings and thus it will not pause automatically the exercise.

Finally. I can not answer about other CW learning applications.

Vy73 de Davide IZ2UUF

4. KG7WGX

KG7WGX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks. That was very helpful and it makes sense.

5. IZ2UUF

Hello.

Here below a video about some features for the advanced users taking advantage of the new Text-to-speech feature.

73 de Davide IZ2UUF

6. N3HEE

N3HEE Ham Member QRZ Page

I've actually had requests for an app like this. One with speech. This is perfect for head copy practice. I will try it out and will introduce this app to my CW Academy students next semester. Thanks Davide !

7. IZ2UUF

Hello Joe.

Thanks for introducing this app to your students!
    If you have any request or suggestion don't hesitate to contact me: most of the features already published or still under development come from users' experience and suggestions.

73 de Davide IZ2UUF

8. N3HEE

N3HEE Ham Member QRZ Page

The word length setting doesn't seem to work. I set it to 4 letter words and it would send 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 letter words ?

9. W9RAC

W9RAC Subscriber QRZ Page

Great program. I copy text to work on my head copy at 20 while riding bicycle. best, Rich

10. AD0HT

AD0HT Ham Member QRZ Page

Love the app - hate the pink non changeable screen color. :)