ad: w5yi

I've been inactive for almost 10 years. What has changed?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by VE7NOT, Jul 17, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think you can still find a decent QSO but it takes a bit more effort on HF. Digital voice modes seem to be taking over on VHF/UHF, though activity is still a bit sparse. I'm
    not sure if you can reach the nearest Dstar repeaters to you, I see a couple in Vancouver and one in Victoria.

On HF, FT8 digi mode dominates now - if you have a waterfall display, you'll see 'wall to wall' FT8 signals in the watering holes on any band. JS8CALL is a lesser known
    conversational mode that uses FT8's weak signal capability.

KO4ESA likes this.
  2. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I know that if somebody calls me at a slower speed, I will QRS for them without having to be asked, as I think most OMs will.

As for phone, I was thinking 20-meter SSB might be pretty dead what with conditions and all. But I'd just got my new portable rig, a Xiegu G90, the other day and wanted to try it on SSB. Now with 20 watts on phone I didn't expect much--or anything. But I found myself working station after station and having some nice conversations. :)

KO4ESA, K8XG, KA4DPO and 1 other person like this.
  3. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hmmm, but you are in the US and I think things are rather different for you. For a start, you have probably the highest level of ham radio participation per head of population in the world. Add to that the fact that the majority of them speak English and your chances of finding a proper QSO on telephony is a lot higher for you than it is for me. Levels of ham participation in Europe are lower than they are in the states. While most european hams do speak English adequately for an exchange of signal reports, the number both willing and able to engage in a conversation in English is quite a lot lower. And I do believe that the FT-8 and DX chasing bug has probably bitten harder on this side of the pond. The majority of the telephony operation you hear round here is "human FT-8" - "your report is 5&9. Name here is Frank. QTH Berlin. Thanks for the QSO. QRZ?"

Martin (G8FXC)

KO4ESA likes this.
  4. K2CD

K2CD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Get used to working a lot people who are using IC-7300s and Hex beams.
    There are a couple of newfangled digital modes.
    SSTV types still pop out of the woodwork at all hours if you lose your bearings and call CQ on or close to 14.230.
    That's about it.

KO4ESA likes this.
  5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The ragchew thing is why I mostly use CW.

It's pretty easy to generate and have long conversations on CW, although DX stations in places more rare than the U.S. can often be "hit and run."

I've always found the way to start a ragchew is by asking questions of the other operator. After the weather report most aren't interested to hear and a brief "rig" description, I'll ask something about the other op. Last year, and earlier this year, it may have started with "HW COVID STUFF WHERE U ARE?" or anything just to get the ball rolling.

That can lead to discussion of other hobbies, jobs, retirement activities, favorite local restaurants, cars, kids, last movie they saw, or really anything. Before you know it, a real conversation!

I find it's easier on CW than phone, but phone ops can do the same thing. "Stop talking about yourself, and ask questions of the other guy" really does work.:)

I've been nearly continuously active for 55 years, and 10 years ago was 2011. For me, almost nothing has changed. Not even my "rigs," since the ones I use most are at least that old.:p

NK8I, KO4ESA, K8XG and 1 other person like this.
  6. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

DUPE

KO4ESA likes this.
  7. KG5RZ

KG5RZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Courtesy and civility have been flushed down the crapper.

KJ7ZII and KO4ESA like this.
  8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Different from 2011?

I haven't noticed that.

WA8FOZ and KO4ESA like this.
  9. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Welcome back!
    What has changed?
    The ICOM 7300

KO4ESA likes this.