ad: HamInsurance-1

I've been inactive for almost 10 years. What has changed?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by VE7NOT, Jul 17, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. VE7NOT

VE7NOT Ham Member QRZ Page

Well the title says it all but I'm buying an IC-71100 as I used to like VHF SSB and having DC-Daylight. I noticed a bunch of Digital mumbo jumbo. Hey Im 43 I'm not shy to this but some of it is new. When I went inactive around 2011 or so it was PSK. D-star was considered a joke. I even wrote song about it lol. But I can hear things have changed as I await my radio I listen to podcast and don't know all their new modes. I like that the radio I am ordering has a mini usb plug on the back though I don't know yet what it does.

Any ideas?

KO4ESA likes this.
  2. N1VAU

N1VAU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Welcome back!

"Any ideas?"

Absolutely!
    Look into everything "ham radio" as your first gaze of a beautiful woman.

KO4ESA and NL7W like this.
  3. K8DO

K8DO Ham Member QRZ Page

I too have been back at it after a decade of nothing. I barely recognize ham radio today - in spite of 50 years of hamming before the time-out. Some things are good, some not so good.

AA8IA, KO4ESA and VK6APZ like this.
  4. KS2G

KS2G Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

KO4ESA likes this.
  5. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Ham Member QRZ Page

One big change is that AM on HF is quite cool to do.
    Come join us. I've been here since before it was this fashionable.

KO4ESA, NL7W, KD2RDG and 3 others like this.
  6. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

Just don't get any lotion in the radio.

What has changed? We all got ten years older. With a few additions to the hobby (FT8 mode and digital improvements in radios), it's basically the same as when you left it...other than it's quieter on the VHF/UHF bands.

KO4ESA and KA4DPO like this.
  7. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There is very little conversation any more - I do miss that!

Martin (G8FXC)

WF7A, KO4ESA, NL7W and 3 others like this.
  8. N3AWS

N3AWS Ham Member QRZ Page

What has changed? The sunspot cycle.

W1BR, KO4ESA and KA4DPO like this.
  9. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Not really. Maybe you're just looking in the wrong places at the wrong times. I know I have no problem at all getting on 40 CW and having nice ragchew in the mornings. Phone? There re plenty of conversations on 20 any time of the day, and even hams calling CQ! :)

KO4ESA and WA9SVD like this.
  10. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Which is why I've recently bought a nice new paddle, built a K3NG keyer and am practicing CW using a free application on my smart phone! Having spent a long time trying to find proper telephony QSOs, I tuned down past the FT8 channel and saw a moderate number of CW QSOs on my bandscope. Many of them were too fast for me, but I could make out enough to understand that these were proper QSOs. As far as telephony is concerned, it is close to dead round here - often no more than a handful of active stations on 40m and 20m - and generally human FT-8 operators - "Thanks OM, you're 5&9 in Frankfurt. See you again soon." and then QRZ for the next 30 second QSO.

Martin (G8FXC)

WN1MB, KO4ESA, KA4DPO and 1 other person like this.