It's Time For The FCC To Get Back To Enforcement...

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W8BYH, Sep 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

They still use both X.25 and AX.25. But not the AX.25 you think, instead the airline industry uses an X.25 dialect called "Airline X.25"
    or "AX.25" inside their booking and reservation systems.

The amateur AX.25 protocol sometimes was used for SCADA purposes, due to the cheap availability of TNC:s.

A remote control sub-network in a now scrapped professional radio system that I designed almost
    30 years ago used TNC:s and "Data-over-voice" modems for radio hardware supervision.

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

2. N4AAB

N4AAB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Precisely. Although I have met people, at sf conventions, who claimed the Mac and Amiga didn't exist. They did this while I was standing next to my Amiga A1000 running some graphic demos back in 1990.

3. N4AAB

Sadly, I don't remember, but it was last century. Its about 10 feet away in my room. No dust on it. I have hundreds of public domain floppies for it. Two large plastic containers of them. No dust on them either. I have the CBM RGB monitor for it to. If I could find the keyboard and mouse, in one of about 100 storage boxes, I would boot it up and see if it still works. I did use my A3000 sooner than the A1000. I know where the mouse is for it, but not the keyboard.

The ZX-81 I had smoke tested itself, but I was handed one in good condition, with two games, recently. My lcd monitor doesn't like it... so I may need to go to a 'help the people' stores and buy a 13" B&W tv.

4. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Remember, too that Apple had a predecessor to the MAC that was an absolute fiscal failure. (Does the name "LISA" ring a bell?)

5. N4AAB

Well, yes. And if the local store, back in another part of the U.S., had had a store selling the Apple ][+ that didn't seem like a den of software pirates, I might have bought one. But being only able to buy from Apple convinced me I wasn't going to either. I used an Apple ][+ at community college for my starting programming classes. We ran Apple Fortran 1.0 on a Corvus 20 meg hard drive.

6. WA9SVD

I still have an Apple ][+ and an Apple //e, both were working the last time I checked. I have used the //e for 2 Meter packet (with a KPC-3 TNC) when away from home.

7. N4AAB

I never had an Internet card for my Amiga computers. I used an external modem. For the A1000 I used a VT100 program and a 1200 bps modem. later I used a 14.4Kbps modem with my Amiga A3000. I much prefer a cable modem.

8. AE9AM

AE9AM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hey, I bought one of those when they were new. Ok, after the price drop from $10,000 to $7,500. It was still about the sexiest computer you could buy, with mouse, windows, one whole MEGABYTE of memory, Apple ProFile 5 MEGABYTE hard drive, and one of the first computers where the power button was merely a suggestion to the system.

Tragically I let Apple upgrade it first to a 3.5" floppy drive and eventually to Mac firmware. If I'd kept it as originally received it would have been worth over $10,000 today as a collectible vintage computer.

For nostalgia you can't beat the AppleWin Apple ][ emulator:

https://github.com/AppleWin/AppleWin

along with downloadable disk images of virtually every Apple ][ software program ever written.

9. WA9SVD

I still have the Apple Corps set of disks (over 100) and about 50 or 60 games that I never used. I don't know if they were pirated or not. I also have Apple PASCAL on disk, and the MS CP/M compiler with the INTEL i8080A softcard.

10. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It didn't until after the IBM came out. Then it very soon came to apply to IBM and clones runing PC-DOS or MS-DOS.

Witness the current and previous discussions about "PC versus Mac." This would make no sense if Macs were also "PC"s.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.