It's Time For The FCC To Get Back To Enforcement...

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W8BYH, Sep 10, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
  1. K1OIK

K1OIK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Or elimination of amateur radio.

N1OOQ, W5TTP, N3AB and 1 other person like this.
  2. N3HGB

N3HGB Ham Member QRZ Page

I didn't say it was easy, it would be a bunch of 10 second contacts and the average non-ham would be confused about why they aren't talking to each other ;)

3. K0IDT

K0IDT Ham Member QRZ Page

Not really confused, ever watch a group of people in a restaurant texting each other at the same table? Normal condition for them not to engage in conversation.

WU8Y and N3AB like this.
  4. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep, you didn't SAY it would be easy... you IMPLIED that. :rolleyes:

5. NC4JB

NC4JB Ham Member QRZ Page

The FCC, like most of the government, only exists to protect the property of the highest private contributors to the budget. That is why if you set up on 471 MHz and so much as key up a couple of times, you're likely to get a nasty letter in the mail if not a visit from a couple Smiths in a blacked out Crown Vic, but spin down to 441 and do the same thing, where no one's commercial revenues are impacted, and no one gives a crap.

There was a time when radio was a cutting edge technology and hams led the charge in discovering new ways to utilize that technology that were applicable in numerous government and commercial ventures. That time ended in the 70s with the rise of the PC and later on, the internet.

Just move to CW. Most of the rubber stamp techs and generals can't figure out those arcane beeps.

K1OIK likes this.
  6. N0TZU

N0TZU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ok, I'll bite. What's on 471 MHz? And why would a ham transmit there, outside the band?

7. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Television band perhaps?
    I search engined the phrase '471 mhz' and got mostly things about antennas until I stumbled (literally) onto something about frequency allocations.

8. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe it's the answer to the question, "what's the frequency, Kenneth?" :D

I always assumed that was "401 megahertz" per Star Trek IV, The Voyage Home.

9. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

I think you've got the timeline a bit confused there.

"Radio" has always been "cutting edge technology". What has changed are the frequencies and uses people consider valuable.

Early on, the ability to communicate with ships was The Big Thing, because the telegraph and telephone could do the rest. Then the ability to communicate across oceans and to faraway places without wires.

Then broadcasting - first just sound, then TV. Also communication with small vehicles like planes and cars......and even people.

Also radiolocation, navigation, and detection.

The valuable frequencies used to be the long waves.....then the short waves.....now it's the microwaves. Most long-distance comms are by fiber, but radio gets you to the fiber...

As for time, hams stopped being on the cutting edge by 1930, if not before. We don't lead the charge; we follow it. Where hams have played a real role is in being self-trained and in figuring out how to do things more cheaply.

Want proof? Name some things in radio since 1930 where hams "led the charge".

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    KD0TLS, KA4DPO and K1OIK like this.
  10. W6RZ

W6RZ Ham Member QRZ Page

The Apple II was released in 1977.