It's Time For The FCC To Get Back To Enforcement...

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W8BYH, Sep 10, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-rfparts
  1. K1OIK

K1OIK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I wonder how much the ARRL spent on trying to get it passed?

WA7PRC and AF7XT like this.
  2. AF7XT

AF7XT Ham Member QRZ Page

As always Burt you are welcome to your opinion. I'll defend my description of the FCC and my opinion.
    https://www.fcc.gov/general/amateur-radio-service-enforcement-actions
    This is not a comprehensive list. What the "commission" did in the case of K1MAN and is doing in the case of W6WBJ is comical. The lack of cooperation with and from the Department of Justice makes the "commission " appear as clowns. When it comes to their attempts at enforcement I can't laugh but for the tears.
    I'll stand by my description of the Federal Communications Commission as a collection of clowns until such time as they are supported as, treated as something better than by their own bureaucracy, act in a reasoned professional manner as other than clowns. For the time being I find no other description that fits the disarray, infighting, incompetence, ineffectual, misguided, malfeasant, irrational, inconsistent, behavior that has become the FCC.
    Burt, I actually long for a FCC with teeth and the reason to use or not use as a reasoning enforcement arm of the government. It issue is they are legally (technically anyway) adjunct to the executive branch and therefore have no business exercising police powers. Over the last few decades the Department of Justice has seen to that. The FCC has only the teeth that the courts and D.O.J. give it .
    It was mentioned earlier that Official Observers were an option for ...
    ...for what ? In the late '20's and '30's the OO were there to provide technical assistance to amateurs by way of observation and notification. They were in no way enforcement or violation reporting. I have no idea when the definition changed or how. In any case most OO are ill prepared to deal with or accurately report intentional violations to the extent that FCC involvement is justified . That is FCC gets a note from mommy DOJ that it can spend a few dollars chasing lunatics on the ham bands.
    To further clarify I don't view Ajit Varadaraj Pai , Fcc commissioner, as a clown. That I view his efforts on net neutrality as misguided and in some cases dangerous precedent doesn't make him a clown.
    It just means I vehemently disagree with the bulk of his professional opinion. I don't view Laura Smith as a clown just because she is asked to define and either defend or prosecute hopeless and irrational legal position . I see her as doing an impossible job with no small amount of effort, integrity, and intelligence.I don't see any individual within the FCC as a clown, not even former FCC Special Counsel for Enforcement Riley Hollingsworth. I see the FCC treated as a collection of clowns by their own government. Referring to the FCC as the Federal Clown Commission is my way of bringing attention to their comical lack of purpose and effect .
    Told you we would disagree some day :)

WZ7U likes this.
  3. AF7XT

Agreed, wait ...

...we agree on something ? Checking medications...

:)

WZ7U, N6QIC and N2EY like this.
  4. AF7XT

Something we may never know. I'm sure you know by now that any was too much in my not so humble opinion .

K1OIK likes this.
  5. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Apparently, because of evidence and testimony, the public doesn't NEED it.
    Because there is no requirement for hams to be on the air, hams don't NEED it.
    That leaves only WANT. That's why.

K1OIK likes this.
  6. K1OIK

K1OIK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Your defense was excellent but would have been more creditable without the name calling. The FCC has been castrated by Congress, they are doing what they can with the resources they have. Others have well made the point they have bigger fish to fry than amateur radio. If amateur radio ended today, the general public would hardly notice. By-in-large hams serve them selves and few others. If a member of Congress listen to the bands on a Contest weekend, how much support would ham radio get?

N1OOQ, N3AB and K3EY like this.
  7. WA7PRC

It's not just contests.

K1OIK likes this.
  8. N3HGB

N3HGB Ham Member QRZ Page

Contests would sound confusing at best
    599 73
    599 73
    599 73

K1OIK likes this.
  9. WA7PRC

Not ALL contest exchanges require a signal report. And sometimes, the info can't be determined in advance. For example in the very popular November Sweepstakes, you send a sequential serial number, the year you were first licensed, a power/class indicator, and ARRL section. Note: NO signal report is sent, and if ALL the info isn't copied correctly, the contact points are not earned. But, I get your [incorrect] insinuation that it's easy. And, I've been told (by non racers) that ET bracket "drag" racing is easy. :p

N4NYK, WZ7U and N2EY like this.
  10. KK4ZYM

KK4ZYM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I doubt the average congressman would understand what he was hearing on contest weekend, much less be able to judge its worthiness of his support. He would likely understand, and be appalled by, the nonsense on 7.200 and 14.313. But you could use that to make a good case for increased enforcement.

N4NYK likes this.