Its the most "wonderful" (?) time of year

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K4KWH, Dec 6, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WB0MPB

WB0MPB Subscriber QRZ Page

OH NO! You actually typed "HAM"! You are going to be reprimanded severely. Good luck to you. You know that is about the worse thing that a "HAM" can type. You can type any other word in the whole world in all capitals but not "HAM"!
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

John, WB0MPB

W5TTP and W5BIB like this.
  2. K4KWH

K4KWH Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually where *I* am, they do a pretty good job of salting the roads and using plows where needed. The salt trucks were out this evening as I came home. As to driving, ya also gotta remember many of our snows are around 32F. This produces a kind of icy snow that is more slippery than the dry powder most Northern and Midwest states are used to. Combine that with the hilly, even mountainous terrain, I defy the so-called "experts" to drive on it. Hint: it isn't dry powder, but a thin layer of ICE that coats the road. When the temp falls to or below 18F, salt becomes ineffective. Sometimes the state resorts to sand when that happens.

This storm is slated to be a bad one with 6" to 12" of snow. East of here (Rockingham, Lumberton, etc, not too much frozen stuff. In the mountains just west of here, 12 to 18" of snow. And they ARE used to it!;)

3. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

K7MH likes this.
  4. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

It's going to become a standard emoticon... just wait...

upload_2018-12-6_18-52-23.png

WB0MPB and K3XR like this.
  5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Salting doesn't do auto chassis, frames, sheet metal any good.

Thankfully we don't have anything like that here; might be why on any given day I see cars from the 50s and 60s on all the freeways and they're still shiny and look new.

"Undercoating" is an option nobody would pay for here.:p

Actually, my van came with "undercoating," and it was on the sticker even though I did not order it. The sticker showed it was factory added and cost $300 or something. I told the dealer I wasn't paying for that. "But the factory did it, it's already done!"

I replied, "Okay, remove it...then, I won't pay for it.":)

He took it off the invoice.

WG8Z and W4DMK like this.
  6. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

“Put another log on the fire!”

WB0MPB likes this.
  7. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

10M contest this weekend. I still need DE and VT confirmed on LoTW. If the weather is not conducive to yard cleanup this might be a good distraction.

8. KA0GKT

KA0GKT Ham Member QRZ Page

I saw (heard?) Thundersnow several times in my youth on the Great Plains of Nebraska, but most recently, thundersnow is fairly common in the Sky Islands of the desert southwest. It can be quite spectacular when lightning hits the mountaintop tower next to the transmitter building during a snowstorm.

Hopefully, I won't need to contend with bad weather (and drivers) when I'm in KC for my daughter's wedding next week.

9. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree that most people don't know how to drive in snow but I have been here for over 25 years now and have never needed chains, not once.

10. AD5MB

AD5MB Ham Member QRZ Page

southern snow is not northern snow. southern snow is snow, melt, flow, and freeze again. southern snow is latent sheet ice. nobody knows how to drive on melted and refrozen ice.