ad: M2Ant-1

Its the most "wonderful" (?) time of year

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K4KWH, Dec 6, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K4KWH

K4KWH Ham Member QRZ Page

Itsa gonna snow--dadgummit. 12 to 18 inches in our mountains. 6 to 12 west of Charlotte. :( Here's the dodgy part. Depending on the WX system track it could be snow (doesn't bother me), sleet (still not much problem), freezing rain (Oh no!)...OR a mixture of all. It is the freezing rain that has me worried! That means power lines down, people without heat. Ice storms ain't funny. Snow? One can deal with it. Sleet, too. You can even drive on it. Streets with ice on 'em. NO! There's little that can cope with that. Eh........maybe chains. Still a huge risk. So with all the parts of this storm, I'm hopin' for snow. With that, I can still build a fire in the stove, cook weiners and beans, run a genny.

W2AI likes this.
  2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

We've got rain! Yesterday, last night, and today!

It's also c-c-c-cold here; 46 at 6AM today, only about 56-58 now, at almost 3 PM local. It doesn't get much colder than that here, ever, but it is right now.

Winter! (And it won't be winter for two more weeks.)

W2AI likes this.
  3. K4KWH

K4KWH Ham Member QRZ Page

We had a "balmy" 24F last night. I'm sure others will weigh in with their Zeros and minus this or that. Gets pretty cold 'roun here in winter. Not as bad as up N'awth, but it hits single digits sometimes here, and once in a while below Zero. Go up in the hills (1 1/2 hour away) and it can be brutal! In this storm, I'm hoping for my best choice: snow.

I just listened to the local forecast and they now say that (at least one of the meteorologists) it is more likely that WE (Charlotte area) will have snow and sleet rather than freezing rain. South and east of Charlotte, cold rain and freezing rain.
    Prob'ly 6-8" of snow. I wouldn't even post about this except for the threat of the power outages that could hit us.

K9ASE likes this.
  4. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

People down South aren't acclimated to snow. Generally speaking, there are no provisions set for snow removal by local governments. Even a few inches of snow is cause for concern in a normally warm, snowless climate. Motorists don't know how to drive in it but than again--its like that in the Northeast as well. I haven't seen any trucks or passenger cars with tire chains. State and local government up this way are generally proficient in snow removal with highway dept crews kept on overtime with sand and salt stockpiles.

KA4DPO likes this.
  5. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Volunteer Moderator Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Beautiful 29 degree crisp sunny mornings day after day!!! Warms up to 38 before it starts dropping again.... Loving it.

Dave
    W7UUU

W4RAV, K9ASE and N2EY like this.
  6. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Anybody hear the cry of the Kiki bird?

7. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Isn't that the truth.

We are supposed to get a little dusting of snow on Friday's forecast.

[​IMG]

Also would someone tell the news stations around here that thunderstorms and snowstorms can't co-exist very well together?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  8. WB0MPB

WB0MPB Subscriber QRZ Page

In Kansas City a week or so ago we had the biggest blizzard we have had in years. It is also the coldest it has been here in a lot of years. But we just have to remember that this is the fault of all of us because we are causing "Global Warming".
    I watched a news article on TV today about the change that is happening. We now have more snow cover in the northern hemisphere than we have in the last 50 years and it is growing. It is like a snowball rolling down a hill. It causes it to get worse every year and makes it colder and snowier each year. With the growing snow cover it causes colder air for a longer period of time each year. So it feeds itself.

So somehow we need to put a stop to this global warming so we stop having more snow and cold air each year.

John, WB0MPB

K9ASE and G3ZPF like this.
  9. WB0MPB

WB0MPB Subscriber QRZ Page

But you can have "thundersnow" which can dump a very large amount of snow in a short time. We had thundersnow here a couple weeks ago when we had the blizzard.
    Quote - "
    Hazards[edit]
    Thundersnow produces heavy snowfall rates in the range of 5 to 10 cm (2 to 4 in) per hour. Snowfall of this intensity may limit visibilities severely, even during light wind conditions. However, thundersnow is often a part of a severe winter storm or blizzard. Winds of above tropical storm force are frequent with thundersnow. As a result, visibilities in thundersnow are frequently under 400 m (1⁄4 mi). Additionally, such wind creates extreme wind chills and may result in frostbite. Finally, there is a greater likelihood that thundersnow lightning will have a positive polarity, which is associated with a greater destructive potential than the more common negatively-charged lightning."

While a thundersnow storm is extremely dangerous, it is really cool to be outside in the storm with heavy snow coming down and listening to the thunder. In Kansas and Iowa I have heard a lot of thundersnow storms.

It is also interesting the difference in the intensity of winter storms moving south from my home in Iowa just about 3 hours. The winters in Kansas are nothing here compared to the winters in Iowa. This year is the most cold and snow I have seen in the last 8 years.

And we do not live as far south as you, @KC8VWM, but we also, because of the low snowfall amount, have drivers that have no clue how to drive on ice and snow. We see some scary driving.
    Here is a video I found a couple of days ago that shows how dangerous winter driving can be.

John, WB0MPB

10. W5TTP

W5TTP Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds like it is time for all good HAM types to turn on the rsdios, grab a hot chocolate, or toddy, and enjoy the fruits of our hobby. May all of your wire antennas be safe!