ad: ARR

It's one thing to trash talk Ham radio here, but to do it publicly......

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K5TCJ, Oct 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

2. N2EY

N2EY previously posted:

3) All contest contacts MUST be properly logged. For ARRL SS, that means date, time, band, serial number, class, callsign, check, section. NO SIGNAL REPORT. Whether using computer or paper logging, the log must be kept and it must be accurate.

It takes SKILL to make contest contacts at a decent rate and properly log them. The winning entry in the 2016 CW SS made 1397 contacts in 24 hours - that's 1397 Qs in 1440 minutes. One complete exchange every 62 seconds. That takes real skill and endurance and know-how.

4) Operating a contest requires constant decision-making, such as: Try to run contacts, or search-and-pounce? If doing S&P, and a called station does not reply, how long to keep trying to work that station? Stay on the current band, or change bands? If a directional antenna is used, which way to point it? In contests where you cannot work the entire contest period, when to operate and when to take time off? And much more.

5) It takes REAL OPERATING SKILL to pull a contest exchange through QRM, QRN, QSB, tiredness, etc. Such skills cannot be bought, taught, nor given, they can only be EARNED.

My point is that your constant trolling, put-downs and other ignorant, stupid, baseless descriptions of contest operating are completely inaccurate.

There you go. "Useless pursuit"? Why?

You claim to be able to "pull information through QRM, QRN etc.", but provide no proof or evidence.

I think you're just trolling, Burt. You put down what others do, that you can't, just to get a reaction. You bad-mouth Amateur Radio in public - WHY?

3. N2EY

You don't know what's coming when listening to contests. You're just making stuff up.

More put-downs.

That's what you did with both the DX-20 repair and this DX-40/DX-35 thing. You hold back information. Is that how you teach?

As predicted, no matter what I wrote, you would turn it into a put-down.

It's not about my limited knowledge. I got it right. No one could meet your expectations.

Tell us how the DX-40 works, Burt. Explain that coil to us. Explain the differences between the DX-35 and DX-40.

4. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

If we equate everything that is "only for enjoyment" with being "useless pursuit," then a huge portion of the economy becomes "useless" by logical extension.

Life isn't just about utility. It's about enjoyment, too. Unfortunately, there are people who see excess in others' pursuit for "lack of utility," and they (over)react by demanding that everything be utilitarian to compensate. That approach is just as erroneous as making one's life all about enjoyment. As with all things, balance.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
  5. W2AAT

W2AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm from that generation and area. Those of us who knew Mike saw somebody different then the guy who was on the air.... For one thing, he was a great grandfather.... He treated us newbees great and opened his home to us when we visited. AFY never responded to us kids!

6. K1OIK

K1OIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

7. K1OIK

K1OIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I was going to answer until you said you couldn't wait to hear it.

8. N2EY

Then perhaps you can explain why his on-air persona was the way it was. Why the harangue about "no kids no lids" and the use of the term "Class A operators" for years after the name of the license was changed to Advanced?

Here's part of a post I wrote back a few years that proposes some reasons. How close to the facts was I?

What ol' Mike, W2OY would call for (among other things) was "no kids, no lids, no space cadets, Class A operators only".

This requires some explanation for those not familiar with the history.

Before 1951, there were only three license classes in the USA: Class A, Class B, and Class C.

Classes B and C were the same except that B was earned at an FCC office and C "by mail", for those who were shut-ins or lived far from an FCC exam point.

Class A was the full-privileges, top-drawer license, and was only available from an FCC examiner. It required a Class B license plus one year experience and another written exam.

All US hams had access to all amateur frequencies back then - BUT - only Class A hams could operate 'phone on the bands between 2.5 and 25 MHz.

On top of all that, running a high-power 'phone rig back in the AM days required some serious know-how and resources. It was a relative few who could afford to build a legal-limit plate-modulated AM rig - and they had to build it, because the rigmakers most-powerful offerings stopped at a couple of hundred watts. (Only the Collins KW-1 and Johnson Desk Kilowatt could reach the legal limit with plate-modulated AM).

So ol' W2OY was top-of-the-heap in that department, and an old-timer besides (his call proclaimed it).

And then it all fell apart.

In 1951, the FCC created three new license classes and renamed the existing ones. Class C became Conditional, Class B became General, and Class A became Advanced - which was no longer the top license, because the new Extra was added too.

About the same time, other voice modes began to invade the HF ham bands. There was "NBFM" - Narrow Band FM - which did not require the big modulator of plate-modulated AM, but which required either a receiver adapter or "slope detection" to sound right. There was "SSSC" - Single Sideband Suppressed Carrier (we now call it SSB) which sounded like Donald Duck with a bad head cold.

Then in late 1952 the FCC changed the rules yet again and allowed Conditionals and Generals to have the same privileges as Advanceds and Extras. All sorts of hams flooded into the 'phone bands, running all sorts of rigs and modes. Cathode modulation....grid modulation.....screen modulation.....controlled carrier.....and worse!

And all these young whippersnappers thought they were equal to folks like ol' Mike! Some even made remarks about "Ancient Modulation" and used...PHONETICS!

Thus the classic W2OY statement of protest. "No kids" was his rejection of the new license structure, which brought in lots of teenagers and even pre-teens (even though he actually liked kids). "No lids" and "Class A operators only" his rejection of allowing Generals and Conditionals on 'phone on HIS band.

Is the above what bothered ol' Mike so much?

9. AB8MA

AB8MA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I am mortified. Lost opportunity, I guess. Oh My My My.

[​IMG]

K1OIK likes this.
  10. N2EY

Why do you think a ham wouldn't?

What IS your major malfunction?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.