It's official... CB'ers run newer radios than I own.

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W1BR, Oct 11, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. K8AI

K8AI Ham Member QRZ Page

CB'ers seem to pop up regularly on Facebook ham radio forums in rabidly violent defense of CB radio almost like they suffer from some kind of guilt or shame complex. If'n I were one, I simply wouldn't admit it.

I think this paraphrase of the Apostle Paul fits things well:

"When I was a CB'er, I spake as a CB'er, I understood as a CB'er, I thought as a CB'er: but when I became a ham, I put away CB'er things."

K3XR, NL7W, K4AGO and 1 other person like this.
  2. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Paul had a Baofeng?

N3AB likes this.
  3. K4AGO

K4AGO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

When I was young I operated a CB radio. Those were the days before 40 channels and even before 23 channels. Things were different back then. I actually had a CB license at one time. Those were the pre-polio vaccine days; and, I am not saying better; But, just different. Does anyone else remember the "duck and cover" days when we all practiced crawling under our school desk when the air raid sirene sounded?

I don't know a lot of the current CB radio jargon. Can someone please explain the term "Bird Sleeve" to me? I am guessing it is what they used to call a "foot warmer" or linear amplifier. I am really interested in knowing how the term "Bird Sleeve" originated. It must be fascinating.

4. W1BR

W1BR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

. They were talking about Bird wattmeter elements.

My only CB. Was a single channel pair of three transistor walkies I got for Xmas when I was a young kid. Probably from Montgomery Ward!

5. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My dad loved me so much he only got me a single walkie-talkie for my birthday :) (Lafayette store) But I was able to talk to trucks out on the highway about a half mile away. Most of them telling me to shut up and get lost.

K8AI, AG5CK and W1BR like this.
  6. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

I started on CB as illegal! When we lost the 11M band on 9/11/58 myself and many others in the NYC-LI area kept right on operating as it was a great after school band as well as for commuters and those who didnt like the heavy Cycle 19 QRM on 10.

The Johnson Viking I with the 122 VFO already covered it at a solid 100W out and the 40M dipole with 72 Ohm twinlead loaded up.....what VSWR?, didnt know, didnt care back then at 17.

The FCC was powerless to do anything since soon became a countrywide thing of civil disobedience and they didnt have the manpower or want to deal with the political flack as hams were well respected....back then.

So they went to the ARRL and told them if they would announce that nobody would be charged if they quit hamming and got a CB license and ran 5W, no DXing, etc.

I wound up as 2W1496 and dropped back to about 20W from a used Viking Adventurer but still with a VFO. Ive said before on forums that I hate crystals! Nobody I knew got cited for similar and we werent about to spend a few hundred $$ for a 5W radio and then buy crystals.

I then went into the USN at the end of 59 and didnt bother with CB again until the fuel crisis in 73 and picked up a vacuum tube Citifone SS, made by Multi Elmac at a hamfest for ~ $20 which was one of the early 23 channel expensive models that I found at a hamfest when the 70's CB craze took off; probably paid $20 tops. It had provisions for ~ 7 TX crystals and the RX was a tuneable VFO and had a 117VAC/12VDC PS. I used it mostly mobile (big, clunky and drifty) and a few times at home to chat with some folks in town but never got into the CB habit. I do remember tickling the NCL-2000 with it a few times to drive off deliberate QRM/poachers :eek::oops::rolleyes: And then in 77 when selling 23 Channel rigs became illegal I picked up a NIB Cobra for $10 which still works fine and goes with me on trips, vacation, etc.

Carl

W0PV likes this.
  7. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

When in Rome...

8. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Something about CB brings all the loudest virtue signals to the band.

9. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Not posted it for some time but it's worth repeating...
    MY TAKE ON THE 11 METER (CB) / HAM RADIO ISSUE

From K3XR post on QRZ.com forum and bio page...

The 11 meter issue is a separate one doubtful any opinions will change regardless here goes......Just finished reading new replies to this thread when listening to a conversation on 2 meters with one station telling the other station he was "giving him 2 pounds" now there's a ham phrase if ever there was one! Seems to me no one would know you were a previous 11 meter operator unless you made it known or unless you conducted your operating in a manner that would remove any doubt.

It is difficult for some to understand that references to 11 meters by way of phrases operating practices etc are offensive to those who take pride in a disciplined hobby where its participants mostly comply with the rules and regulations. Yes, I know ham radio has its share of bad operators that does not mean we need more of them.

If you are a former operator of the 11 meter band and complied with all of the rules and regulations on that band there is every reason to expect you will do the same on the ham bands and you should be welcomed. For example, did you limit your communications to 151 miles (recently changed)? Limit transmissions to 5 minutes with a 1 minute break? Only operated on assigned channels? Operated at the legal power limit? The old and recently changed rules and regs are widely available if you want to take the time to do the research.

K8AI and WC5P like this.
  10. KA0USE

KA0USE Ham Member QRZ Page

what is this? i looked at a couple of yt's and no explanation.