It's official... CB'ers run newer radios than I own.

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W1BR, Oct 11, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. VK6ZGO

VK6ZGO Ham Member QRZ Page

Plus, they very considerately built in a LED display to show the countdown.
    That display often stops when they cut the red wire.

WD4IGX, N8WCL and N1OOQ like this.
  2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

You can learn a lot on CB.

You have to start somewhere.

WD4IGX, VK6APZ, W9WQA and 2 others like this.
  3. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

Yup. RF is RF, and proper station design and implementation is still important for best performance.

Chris

WD4IGX likes this.
  4. WA1UIL

WA1UIL Ham Member QRZ Page

So?..... am I "Tree Top Tall? or "Walking The dog"? or just the plain vanilla, garden variety "5-9'???

W1BR likes this.
  5. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That's a good one. haha.

6. KI4POT

Was something I said factually incorrect?

Chris

7. KP4SX

It was 100% correct. But we're not talking about real engineers here. More like 20,000 watt MO-byle whip buyers.

ND6M likes this.
  8. KI4POT

That's painting with a broad brush. At least in 4x4 circles, where CB was the primary trail comms tool at least a few years ago, people put a lot of effort into a good installation with reasonable equipment (proper whip antennas, etc). Tuning antennas, body/frame bonding, reducing vehicle-sourced noise, etc were all aspects of an installation and commonly discussed.

I saw more effort in those circles than I see in the typical new Tech when installing their first 2m mobile, probably because they were limited power-wise and had to make the best use of what they had.

Chris

WD4IGX likes this.
  9. W0JPR

W0JPR Ham Member QRZ Page

CB is still overwhelmingly the choice for trail comms in the 4x4 community overall. There are a few clubs that use other radios like FRS, GMRS, or ham. But, according to my anecdotal observations, they make up less than 5% of the trail radios combined. The rest is CB. CB is cheap and you don't need a license. I have both CB and 2m/70cm rigs in my Jeeps. I use 2m mostly for access to repeaters when I'm in the mountains in Colorado where cell service is spotty at best. A few of my friends also use 2m so we use that when we can. But I want to talk to the rest of the people on the trails and that means I have to run a CB.

I suspect that CB will continue to be the radio of choice for the 4x4 crowd simply because of inertia. It checks the "good enough" box for most people. And since everyone else already has a CB, that's what all the new people get.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
    WD4IGX likes this.
  10. KP4SX

I'm glad to see that its mainly 4x4 groups using the band now and not the inane crap we've had in decades past.

K8AI, W4LJ and K3XR like this.