It's official... CB'ers run newer radios than I own.

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W1BR, Oct 11, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm pretty sure hams gave themselves a bad name long before that. I've seen amateur radio operators portrayed in a less than positive light in media from the 50s and 60s.

I was reading a section of a book on low profile operating that recounted an issue when the author was a young ham. His neighbor was getting regular interference on his TV and blamed the author. Some sleuthing later, it was determined to be the butter warmer in the man's fridge. Now why would the neighbor blame the amateur if interference from amateurs wasn't a known thing.

Chris

2. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

It’s adorable that you think anything has ever gotten “done around there”. It’s a side-show of intellectually void entertainment which curiously seems to fascinate some and attract useless ‘present’ comments by others.

W9WQA and WZ7U like this.
  3. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Sideshow_Bob_(The_Simpsons_Ride).png at your service.

N0TLD likes this.
  4. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It was common and unintentional for the most part. Not the result of illegal operation.
    On the other hand...

5. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

However, public perception as it is.....

6. WN1MB

WN1MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Or maybe blind faith and over-reliance on flawed technology, eh?

WQ4G likes this.
  7. W1BR

W1BR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Why would I hang out there? Extra Class license, CW and real antennas give me the world. You should try it

K8AI and WN1MB like this.
  8. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

There is certainly that, but there's also zero-day vulnerabilities that nobody has discovered or vulnerabilities only known to the vendors because they're too embarrassed to publish them until some 3rd party discovers it. Then there are the vulnerabilities created by the march of technology. What was secure yesterday is vulnerable today because computers are 10x more powerful than when that tech was developed. It never ends.

Anymore, it's not even about "perfect" security, but whether or not the cost of the security control is equal to or less than the cost (financial or otherwise) of a breach.

Chris

9. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I went from ham radio to IT then telecom so... yeah, I guess that might seem weird to them. I thought you were seriously suggesting that ham radio OUGHT to be though. One of those nuance things lost in text sometimes. :)

KI4POT likes this.
  10. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page