ad: AlphaRF-1

It's official... CB'ers run newer radios than I own.

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W1BR, Oct 11, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

It sounds like you may hang out there. o_O

What is your Handle ?

2. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

It always amused me that bomb-making terrorists were supposed to have a color code... "Always use red for the wire that deactivates the bomb"

WZ7U likes this.
  3. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Seems like your multiple protests fit the “lady doth protest too much” idiom.

What’s your ‘handle’?

4. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Not even remotely. It should only be encrypted if there is the expectation of privacy and security. Ham radio involves neither. The law doesn't allow it and the nature of the communications not only do not require it but would be worse for it.

M7NYH, N1VAU, K8PG and 1 other person like this.
  5. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

If teasing you is protesting, no wonder nothing gets done around here. Good buddy. My name is Eric and my "handle" is not for your grasping. ;)

K8PG and WR2E like this.
  6. AH7I

AH7I Ham Member QRZ Page

People complained, "not everyone can learn code". It was a constant refrain during the last decade of code requirement. Now,"not everyone can remember all those answers". Medical school? "Why remember all those bones? I can look it up with Google!" Engineering? "It's not fair, these matrices are too hard". Nuclear engineering? "What's this fine structure constant got to do with the price of H3 in China?"

"Hey google! Which end of this club is for hitting the rabbit?"

K8PG, K8AI and W4LJ like this.
  7. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If the CB ops want to run power I would rather them use clean gear. With less stuff operating around those frequencies there is less chance of someone getting into the TVs or telephones, of the CB folks want to have fun and stay on the frequencies I am not going to stress it.

It was when the CB operators that were running power and had dirty signals getting RF into everyone's electronics in the 80's and 90's that gave hams a bad name.

WZ7U likes this.
  8. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Deep down I love these threads. Watching otherwise grown men get apoplectic over something they don't have anything to do with or have any control over, makes me smile a little inside.

The fact so many hear the dogwhistle and bark never ceases to amaze.

Back to the regularly scheduled good buddy bashing. :rolleyes:

9. W4LJ

W4LJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I’m so glad that I became an amateur radio operator long ago. Experience is a great teacher.

10. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, per the law, encryption is not allowed. That wasn't my point.

The nature of what we do with amateur radio would be worse off if our transmissions were encrypted. I'm not suggesting that they should be. My point was that people coming from a POV where everything is or should be encrypted and mutually authenticated (industry is moving toward a "zero trust model", btw) are surprised to find out that amateur radio not only is not encrypted, it isn't permitted (something they should have picked up during their study, but that's beside the point).

Chris

WD4IGX likes this.