It's happened twice now, FTdx3000 on, TX activates on computer boot

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by K5TSK, Nov 10, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. K5TSK

K5TSK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Walked into shack, turned on the rig. Turned on the pc running Ubuntu 16.04LTS. Logged in to encryption screen, but rig went TX as the user logon screen appeared.
    No, I didn't hit the key. Happened yesterday with the rig on. When I did a reboot of the pc the rig went TX then also. Hit the power switch as quickly as possible. Turned the rig back on with no problem.
    It's something tied to the boot process. Anyone else seeing this. I've ran CAT with several other distros and first time I've seen this.

2. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

My rig goes into Tx every time I boot the computer. 5 pulses as the computer "looks" for stuff plugged into the com ports.

WG7X likes this.
  3. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Are you using a Singalink?

Are you using VOX on the radio?

If either is true, the computer could be playing a login sound on the sound device connected to the radio, which causes it to go into transmit.

KD8DEY likes this.
  4. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

There is a way to disable serial probing at boot -- I just wish I could remember the link to how to do it. :oops:

ND6M likes this.
  5. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Not a FTdx3000, but yup, my USB-connected rig will do the same, so I keep it powered off until the computer has booted up and I am logged in.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
    ND6M likes this.
  6. KD2NOM

KD2NOM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Same here - FT-450D with SignaLink.

Also does it when installing software sometimes and the security pop-up appears.

7. K5TSK

I take that as a yes. I've ran Mint, Debian and Manjaro and not seen this before. Yesterday, I thought it had something to do with SKCCLogger because I had just been running it. On a fresh start it has to be the boot up routine. Nobody listed their OS, but no, no Signalink in line. USB cable straight to the pc. Did change the bios to the old legacy BIOS to go with Ubuntu.
    Not changing anything until next Monday, then another, sigh, redo. Maybe back to Stretch. Thanks.

8. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

You should be able to use setserial to fix the problem.

Avoid using com 1-4 defaults should help.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
  9. K5TSK

I'll have to find my manual and look that up. I remembered I had changed the bios to legacy mode before I installed the Ubuntu. I had recently purchased a live dvd disc for Xubuntu 18.10. Got up early and changed the bios back to combo UEFI and installed the new system and reinstalled the linux 64 bit SKCCLogger. Works like a charm. Will repost if I see this problem with the new bios settings. Appreciate the tip. 73

10. K2CMH

K2CMH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I had a similar problem and was able to fix it by doing the following:

Go into Windows Device manager
    Find the serial port that your radio/PTT/Cat port is connected to, right-click and select properties
    Choose "Port Settings" tab
    Click the "Advanced" button
    Make sure the "Serial Enumerator" and "Disable Modem Ctrl at Startup" are unchecked
    Save your settings.

N1CTO, KG7WGX, KP4SX and 1 other person like this.