ad: Radclub22-1

It's Ham Vs.Ham As Radio Amateurs Are In Conflict At ARRL

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by KX4OM, Oct 7, 2018.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Only at the Division level I believe and many are within driving distance of a Director/Vice director. Division conventions are every 4 years and rotated so only a quarter, minus one, are held a year.
    Section "conventions" are put on by local clubs and may/may not have a Section person drive to it.

BIG ones such as Dayton are not ARRL controlled but they do come en masse.

Ive never received any convention related USPS snail mail and brochures, etc are sent in advance by truck to the directors.

If the ARRL has a Travel Dept they plan in advance and get decent discounts.

Carl
    Ham and ARRL member since 1955

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
  2. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

Lol

3. KB1PA

KB1PA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The expenses are all legit. Could they be optimized, probably. I don't think ARRL has a travel dept.

Division conventions and section conventions are held every year. They are all organized and run by local clubs. Convention "packages" are mailed by USPS to each ARRL authorized convention organizer.

N2EY likes this.
  4. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

IOW neither one of us knows if they have a travel department.....or if they use a local agent

5. KB1PA

correct. There is no phone number for a travel dept. and afaik no one is assigned that job. My guess it they use a local travel agent.

FYI, you might have known my "Elmers" Bob Fox, Louis Sirkin, Harry Solov, Dave Mania, et al. you might have also known my Dad, Bernie Porter.

Barry

6. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

None of those names are familiar but calls may help. I moved to the Boston area in 1963 when I left USN active duty and worked for National Radio until 69. Moved to NH in 67 and then Chicago in 70 for Sanders Associates and back to NH in 73 to stay!

Ham since 1955

Carl

7. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That figure is the total pay and benefits for the entire paid ARRL staff. And, as you point out, it went down $271,358 - about 4%.

----

It seems to me that some folks think the ARRL should be run entirely by volunteers, who get no pay, benefits or expenses at all.

73 de Jim, N2EY

WU8Y likes this.
  8. KB1PA

I don't remember all their calls :(. but they worked for Gerber Radio Supply (aka Gerber Electronics)

9. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Cant remember ever going there as it was well out of my way for electronics shopping. I mainly covered the roughly Rt 1 and 128 area between Lynn and Needham and in towards Boston where the surplus shops and distributors were located.

I did get to the Norwood Arena Raceway during my stock car driving days but soon moved to The Pines Speedway in Groveland and and also a couple of NH tracks which were a lot closer when I moved. Continued in the Chicago area a few years and then back in NH but drifted away when I got serious about ham contesting. Still go to some of the summer reunions but so many are dying off

10. K1XS

K1XS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

11. WB4IME

WB4IME Ham Member QRZ Page

My $0.02 cents. I gave up the ARRL back in the 70's when they permitted ads from NAMBLA (North American Man Boy Love Association). Yes ... it is a real organization and it promotes acceptance of exactly what the name implies. Sick ... sick ... sick . Any organization that allows that kind of perverted filth is not interested in anything except money.

12. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

(rest removed to avoid CoC violation)

Exactly when did they allow such ads? What QST issues have them?

Is there any evidence that the folks at HQ knew what the organization was about?

Is it possible they were misled into running the ads?

And....is there anyone who was there in the 1970s who is still part of the staff?

WU8Y and N6HCM like this.
  13. N6HCM

N6HCM Ham Member QRZ Page

That's a pretty serious allegation, WB4IME ... I hope you have evidence handy to back this up.

ND6M likes this.
  14. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

I keep saying that with the ARRL it is always about the money but I didnt know about those sicko ads.

Carl

15. W0AEW

W0AEW Ham Member QRZ Page

IME's confused. ARRL started running ads for a gay ham organization. Not the same thing. But this is just another example of how bogus crap gets spread so quickly.

WU8Y, N6HCM and KA0HCP like this.