ad: elecraft

It's Ham Vs.Ham As Radio Amateurs Are In Conflict At ARRL

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by KX4OM, Oct 7, 2018.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

I guess the other 89 are working for free. Like Jim says, "IOW, nobody gets rich working at ARRL Hq."

2. K1LKP

K1LKP Ham Member QRZ Page

75 percent new cowboy.gif

BE
    HAPPY

CO_EXIST_BIG_SIZE_90.jpg
    SMILE 73 CANDID CAMERA HAVE A HAPPY DAY.jpg
    CFO # 1008

3. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

No it isn't. It's for the entire paid staff.

4. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

The $217K to their lawyer massages all the numbers to make them look like just good little boys. I wonder what HIS billable hours are?

As Ive stated several times about the ARRL "Follow The Money" which is the cardinal rule. $288K for travel burns up some of the income flow as do other listed amounts which are all lumped in to preserve their Non Profit status.

I wonder if they have ever had a full audit?

Carl

5. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

$288K for travel is pretty insignificant - about 2% of total expenses. I'm surprised you didn't pick up on $1.4M for office expense. That's a lot of pens and stationary. ;)

6. KM4KGN

KM4KGN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If you refuse to read ALL of the information available...then you are just part of the problem.

But I do stand corrected...the nearly $7 MILLION I mentioned is for the entire Staff. Only a little over $5 Million of that actually goes to the top 11 officers.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
  7. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

make that pens and stationery … because nobody's standing still on this :D

8. N2EY

No, I am not "part of the problem" at all.

OK.

Prove it.

WU8Y, K6CLS and WJ4U like this.
  9. KM4KGN

It's not my job to educate you. Act like a grown man and look it up yourself...or keep on drinking the ARRL Kool-Aid. Either way...the facts remain the facts.

KM1H likes this.
  10. N2EY

It's not about educating anyone.

The person who makes a claim bears the responsibility of backing it up.

All it would take is for you to post a link to the source of your information. But instead you insult those asking for evidence.

I found the financial statement, and from what I read, that ~$7 million was pay and benefits for the entire staff, not just the 11 officers. And, the total dropped from the previous year.

You have presented us with claims, not facts. I say again: Prove your claims about ARRL officer pay. Show your sources.

WU8Y likes this.
  11. KM4KGN

Like I said...the facts remain the same. Which is why I encourage you to look them up for yourself rather than to take my, or anyone else's word for it.

Unfortunate;y, you millennial mindset of " I'd rather just believe the ARRL because it is easier than fact-checking for myself"...is exactly why the ARRL has gotten away with so under-the-table dealing for the last several years.

Now you have a nice day...and God bless.

12. N2EY

You have presented no facts. You have presented your interpretation of something, but refuse to provide any links.

Why?

I did "look them up for myself". Right here:

http://www.arrl.org/files/file/About ARRL/Annual Reports/ARRL 2017 Annual Report.pdf

and I don't see anything to back up what you've claimed. Instead, I see total expenditures of slightly less than $7 million for the entire staff's pay and benefits.

"Millenial mindset"? Not me.

Here's the reality: I have encountered some folks who are used to having their say and not being questioned. They want - no, demand - that people either accept what they say "on faith", or, prove that the claims are not valid. They refuse to back up what they say, and insult those who request evidence.

This behavior takes many forms, and is often subtly encoded ("Bless her heart"). But the meaning is clear: the person making the claim can't back it up, and so relies on various techniques to avoid admitting it.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
    WU8Y and W0AEW like this.
  13. KB1PA

KB1PA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

what I am trying to figure out who are the 11 "top officers"? the 5 corporate officers don't get paid at all. the only 2 corporate officers on the payroll are the CEO and the CFO. That total is 7. Who are the "secret 4" ? And if you look on the published, audited balance sheet, total salaries for 2016 were $7,257,268 and for 2017 $6,985,910 which is a decrease of $271,358.

N2EY likes this.
  14. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Doing WHAT? A couple of hamfests a year...they use private jets?

Oh, I did and hoped to get others to comment, thank you! There is much more to criticize in that IRS document.
    Look closely.

Carl

15. KB1PA

KB1PA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

well there are 71 Sections, 15 Divisions that hold annual conventions that can request a visit from a Staff member from HQ. plus there are 2 board meetings, and at least 2 executive committee meetings a year. Add to that any of the numerous ARRL sanctioned hamfests (like state conventions) that can request a visit from a Staff member. That adds up to a LOT of travel (economy only). Plus the mileage driven to hamfest is reimbursable. Travel is not cheap (until someone invents a way to be transported by beaming somewhere).

The cost of Snail Mail is not going down any time soon. A lot of what's mailed cannot be sent electronically. Its not just paper, pens and pencils. I bet the costs are in line with other non profit organizations.

N2EY and WJ4U like this.