It's Ham Vs.Ham As Radio Amateurs Are In Conflict At ARRL

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by KX4OM, Oct 7, 2018.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KN4SM

KN4SM Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been an amateur since 1958 at age 11 I had no Idea there was any thing going on at Arrl. until I just chanced on this news button on QRZ. Thanks for the heads up

KI4ZUQ likes this.
  2. WU8Y

WU8Y Ham Member QRZ Page

So, you just read some one-sided FUD and just believe it?

W4WTS and NE1U like this.
  3. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

What is this "FUD" that you are talking about?

4. KI4ZUQ

KI4ZUQ Ham Member QRZ Page

As a kid in the forties, I was impressed with amateur radio and its operators. I even had an Elmer for novice! My distant cousin, a Master Mariner also a gifted circuit designer built a ssb transmitter rig using a surplus LM-13/BC-221 as a VFO. He even submitted an article to QST and was published. I watched him operate this transmitter successfully more than once. Then he told me he put a mistake in the schematic. Why? To weed out the ignorant builders! He said that anyone who knew what they were doing would spot the mistake, correct it and move on. I thought at 12 years old my cousin was an arrogant, soul-less crab. His name was William Bendixen, published circa 1950. Look him up. My opinion is ARRL seems to be populated by some unforgiving, arrogant crabs like Billy Bendixen. In spite of the really great work done to date.

5. WB9YZU

WB9YZU Ham Member QRZ Page

FWIW:
    I've been a "Ham" a few days, but not as many as some. And I haven't always been a member of the ARRL - Not because I didn't want to, but because bills came 1st, well loved radio equipment came second (or third depending on the wishes of the XYL), and Club memberships in general came last.

It's true I haven't always agreed with some of the moves the AR Club I belong to does, but I refuse to believe that an organization that's sole purpose for being is to further our hobby would intentionally work against that purpose. I've meet a number of volunteers at different levels of the organization and without exception they have a deep love of Amateur Radio. Yes, some are prideful, but you get that in ANY organization.

It would be nice if Membership was more affordable. Members who can not see can join and receive QST electrically for less than a full Membership. It would be nice if that was everyone's option and maybe more hams would join the Org. It may also help with publication costs.

I don't take issue with the CT address, it has history.
    I see a lot of anti-ARRL Hams. I would bet that if one looked at the History of the Organization, this was just as true in 1914 as it is now. And it might surprise some that without the ARRL, the Commerce Department would have done away with this vocation we now call "Amateur Radio" because the Army wanted it all for themselves. Whether we see it or not, the ARRL actively monitors the activities on the beltway to preserve and add bands for us to use. So from just that standpoint, it's worth joining.

For those that boo-hoo QST... QST over the last year has changed abit.
    Yes there are still adds for insanely expensive radios that for a price say "See Website"...
    But IMHO there is more there to like in the way of tips, projects, and technical discussion than there had been. And they are actively looking for people to contribute content.

Wow, I must sound like an ARRL puppet ;)

I agree with a poster a while back. If you dropped out of the Org, you have absolutely nothing to complain about if the Organization does not represent your views or values. I'm kinda dumb about these things, but even I can tell you that it is almost impossible to move the furniture if you're standing outside the house.

N6UOW, N2AMM, W1BR and 4 others like this.
  6. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I did.

The online database shows no articles of any kind by anyone named "Bendixen". Nor any SSB transmitters using the an LM or BC-221 freqmeter as a VFO. (The LM-13 and BC-221 are quite different, btw).

The ARRL Staff was pretty good at weeding out schematic errors, too. Not that there were never any mistakes, just that they found most of them.

It gets better....

In your QRZ page, you say that you were first licensed in 2008. Yet in the above story, you say you "had an Elmer for novice!"....but the Novice license stopped being issued in April 2000.

So....was there really a "Billy Bendixen"?

Such as who?

N6UOW, W1BR, WU8Y and 2 others like this.
  7. W1BR

W1BR Ham Member QRZ Page

Back in the 50s the ARRL had a full technical department. Every technical article passed over at least six editorial desks for peer review. If an error made it to publication, you can bet it would have been spotted by several readers and a Stray would have been included in a future issue. So, what was Billy Bendixen's call sign?

N2EY likes this.
  8. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I suspect there never was a Billy Bendixen.

The online database shows no articles of any kind by anyone named "Bendixen". Nor any SSB transmitters using the LM or BC-221 freqmeter as a VFO. (The LM-13 and BC-221 are quite different, of course). Zero, zip, nil, nada.

I have every QST from the mid-1920s to the present, and have read every single one. I'd remember an SSB transmitter that used a surplus frequency meter as a VFO. (There were a couple of articles about using such a meter as a VFO, however - to feed an AM/CW transmitter.)

Sometimes mistakes got through the process - but then there were corrections printed.

73 de Jim N2EY

W1BR likes this.
  9. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

I had one for awhile from a hamfest buy. No documentation and too rough to try to restore so I soon sold it.

There were a few TX featured in QST and elsewhere, plus commercial products that used a BC-457/458 or similar WW2 TX as a VFO for a SSB TX.

No one has a perfect memory as you have pointed out in the past.

Carl

10. N1SCA

N1SCA Ham Member QRZ Page

LETS ALL HOPE SO TALK IS CHEAP, BUT WALK THE TALK JUST SAYING, NO DISRESPECT. BELEAVE ME THIERS ALOT OF THINGS THAT NEED TO BE CHANGED ON THIS SUBJECT THATS ALL IAM GOING TO SAY THIERS ALLOT OF MONEY COMING OUT OF THIER ONE THING CLEAN UP THE 40 METER BAND IAM DONE HERE.