ad: Radclub22-1

Its final - amateur service license fees are coming...

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by NN3W, Dec 30, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. AF5XF

AF5XF Ham Member QRZ Page

Me neither. wouldn't mind having a moderate priced radio, but right now I'm using a Icom IC-725 and a Kenwood TS-520.

both rigs from the late 70s era

2. AF5XF

maybe not willingly pay, but yes it would be nice if the FCC cleaned house. particularly on 75m.

WQ4G, KI4ZUQ and KA2FIR like this.
  3. KM4KGN

KM4KGN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Must have struck a nerve...

You should save your attempts at insults, for those who actually find your opinions relevant enough to be insulted.

WZ7U likes this.
  4. KR3DX

KR3DX Ham Member QRZ Page

I am correct, you need to read and comprehend my post. I said that it would not cost $175 + $35 EVERY TEN YEARS. It WILL cost that amount according to your supposed scenario, but how many times are you going to apply for an original license, obtain a 1x3 vanity callsign, upgrade to General, upgrade to Extra, and obtain a 1x2 (or a 2x1) vanity callsign? You do not need to repeat all of those steps when you renew your license after 10 years. Renewal will cost you $35, just like I said. Even the final sentence in your reply agrees with me on that point. So, the recurring cost every 10 years will be $35. Simple.

5. AF5XF

lots of money for a newcomer to shell out. when I got my license(2015) at 17 it cost me $15 for the exam(passed all three went to extra class) and I didn't have enough to even buy a burger at the local restaurant where the club was meeting.

KV4BL likes this.
  6. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Speaking of which...

7. N5TTI

N5TTI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

After reading the R & O, I'm still a bit confused ... wondering if it'll be $35 to renew my vanity call or $70 ($35/renewal $35/vanity).... either way, I'll pay it... a lot cheaper than what the hams 'down under' have to pay.

8. KR3DX

If you want the authorities to supply your "needs" for "free", that is in direct opposition to the statement in your signature line.

KT6KT likes this.
  9. JH6ERA

JH6ERA Ham Member QRZ Page

It is only $35 for 10 years. $3.5 for 1 year. Much cheaper than the tip at a restaurant.

KR3DX likes this.
  10. K8FFF

K8FFF Ham Member QRZ Page

It's a 1.75 l. for me - I'm a cheap date!

11. W2JLD

W2JLD Ham Member QRZ Page

is it me or are ham radio operators a bunch of whiners?

if i had known this i would have brought cheese and crackers

N4ABA, N4CKC, AA4MB and 1 other person like this.
  12. NX1V

NX1V Ham Member QRZ Page

The fact that they don't know if they should charge $50 or $35 means they don't really require the money to cover
    costs - they're just looking at this as revenue. And $35 now means they will see that revenue, and it will be $100 in
    5 years. Once a government organization goes down this rabbit hole and realizes they can profit from it....

N4CKC, WJ1MK, AF5XF and 2 others like this.
  13. NX1V

NX1V Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe you just don't have principles?

W6SAE, WJ1MK, KV4BL and 1 other person like this.
  14. KR3DX

$35 to renew your license, nothing else matters, you already have your vanity callsign.

N5TTI likes this.
  15. W9KEY

W9KEY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Luckily, you are free to provide financial support to any of the other organizations that lobby on behalf of your amateur radio hobby ..... Hum, I'm having trouble coming up with that list of organizations ..... or even ONE other organization. Not to mention just some of the stuff I DO GET:
    • QST Magazine - Mailed to me every month.
    • NCJ, QEX, & On the Air - FREE electronic magazine editions.
    • Logbook of The World.
    • Management of Various Contests Each Month, including Field Day.
    • Award Programs - DXCC, WAS, etc.
    • ARRL Lab Equipment Test Reports.
    • Lobbying Efforts on behalf of amateur radio & frequency protection.
    So, I'm pretty sure I get my $49 worth of service each year.

AD5IN, W6SAE, N4CKC and 7 others like this.