It's Ewes Fault!

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by Guest, Nov 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. Guest

Guest Guest

Nov. 4, 2003 | LONDON (AP) -- A mysterious transmission that baffled British intelligence analysts for days was caused by a ram rubbing up against an aerial mast, a government agency said Tuesday.

Scientists at Government Communications Headquarters in Cheltenham, western England, an intelligence-gathering station, were baffled by strange high-frequency noises coming from Scarborough signal station in Yorkshire, northeastern England.

GCHQ's in-house paper, the Daily Observer, said the noises were unlike anything staff had encountered before and an investigating team initially thought they were coming from spies or aliens.

Their investigation found the signal only happened in the day time, went across all the high-frequency bands and only Scarborough aerials could pick it up.

Eventually, investigators discovered that a ram was rubbing its horns against the aerial masts "in between servicing some local ewes," the paper said.

"It's possible the ram was attracted to the mast which may have given off some kind of tingling sensation, but it was probably just a post to rub against," said GCHQ spokesman Bob McNally.

2. N3IJW

N3IJW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That's baaaaaad.

3. K7KBN

K7KBN Ham Member QRZ Page

"That really got my goat," he said, sheepishly.

4. W6ECE

W6ECE Ham Member QRZ Page

What did the Ram say when he went over the cliff?

"I didn't see that ewe turn!"

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Come on guys, I am rolling on the floor, getting dirty [​IMG]

Sounds a bit like the scene from On the Beach?[​IMG] movie where a wind-blown curtain was keying a transmitter after a nuke blast killed everyone.

Read where way back buffalo on the great plains would rub against and knock down telegraph poles. Some bright person put a lot of protruding spikes in the poles. The lo's liked that even better! [​IMG]

TOM K8ERV

6. N8CPA

N8CPA Ham Member QRZ Page

I thought maybe it was a foreign govt. telling UK to ram it!

What song did the shepherd sing when his girlfriend died? "There Will Never Be Another Ewe."
    [​IMG]

7. N0JZQ

N0JZQ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Marine Recruit: " but sir, you said "

Marine Drill Instructor: "Ewe, Ewe, do I look like female sheep to you ?"

8. N0KLT

N0KLT QRZ Member QRZ Page

Oh ewes guys.

I feel so 'ewes'ed

Gary NØKLT

9. Guest

Guest Guest