Item posted in error. Please ignore!

Discussion in 'Swapmeet Talk' started by KE0VR, Sep 9, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. KE0VR

KE0VR Ham Member QRZ Page

This is a very fine Alpha 89 amateur radio amplifier.

Good reviews of the 89 are posted on the eham.com website. This is as fine an amplifier as ever made, for far less than a comparable new unit. I understand that they made about 408 of them total. It can handle key-down 1500 watt output without a hitch. T/R switching is done by pin diodes, not relays, so full-break-in cw does not result in annoying relay noise and the maintenance issues caused by mechanical components.

I picked it up from the factory on August 14, where I took it for testing and updating. I will not be using it prior to sale, as HOA antenna restrictions rule it out at my QTH.

A copy of the Amplifier Repair Report is available on request. They updated the unit by replacing five parts. They tested it and found that the amp has good output, that it is in good condition, and that the tubes are in good condition. The only issue was that the tune dial lamp is burned out, and the factory did not have any in stock. The bulb is described in the manual as "Lamp CM73 14V". I believe it is the common #73 bulb, but I don't want to take the unit apart to check it.

It had an older-style 220 volt "dryer plug" installed on the power cable, which the factory removed for their testing. I have purchased a current type plug (type 6-20P) and will include both with the unit so that the one which best suits the buyer may be attached.

This item is very heavy. To ship it, I would need to buy the factory shipping cartons from Alpha (their price is $100.00) and then pay nearly $200.00 to Fed Ex for the shipping, so I would have to add $300.00 to ship it. I would be happy to drive up to 100 miles or so from my home near Denver to deliver it.

Per the factory's instructions, I have removed the transformer and it will ship in a separate factory carton. Leaving it in the amp could do serious damage to the unit in shipping. It slides into the cabinet, is attached by four screws, and then has plug-in cables to connect it to the amp.

Attached Files:

2. KE0VR

KE0VR Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi
    I mistakenly posted this ad in swapmeet talk, rather then items for sale. I have posted it there as well.
    Sorry!
    Bruce