ad: k1jek

It Ain't Dead!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by NW7US, Jun 4, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. NW7US

NW7US Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Once and awhile, I hear, "Morse code is an outdated method of communication."

The argument might include comparisons to digital modes, or to the various ways to talk to other amateur radio operators--from HF side-band, to digital modes on repeaters or over the Internet.

Sailboats and sail power are also outdated modes of transportation. Yet, we see, on any given fair day at the harbors around the world, large numbers of sailboats being navigated around the harbors and inlets as large groups of sailing enthusiasts harness the power of the wind.

[​IMG]

But, it ain't dead, dude!

The truth is that Morse code is very much an active mode, with a utility still applicable in this day and age. Preppers know this: when computer networks go down, and when modern communications technology fails, Morse code can be generated, transmitted, received, and decoded with the most minimal of technology.

Not only that, but the efficiency of CW (continuous wave modulation, A1A) in terms of propagation is impressive. Morse code can be effectively used to communicate over much greater distances than voice modes and many digital modes, using the same equipment, antenna, and power levels.

In terms of general use, take a look at the activity typical of an evening on shortwave bands:

I'm an SKCC enthusiast. I'm SKCC member 4758s, and the s at the end of my membership number is the indicator that I have achieved the level of Senator. Information on the levels are on their pages at https://SKCCgroup.com

At the same time, I'm always pushing to increase my ability to copy code at a faster clip. I'm relearning the code.

I used to do the mental gymnastics of translating dits and dahs. But now, I'm learning to hear the entire sound of a letter and just know the letter.

If I hear someone say, "A, B, C," I hear exactly those letters. Now, in the same way with Morse code, I hear letters and even whole words. Thus, my speed has increased.

I wish I'd first learned the code using the Koch method. That's basically the same as what the CWops Code Academy teaches (see https://cwops.org/ for more about them--the activity in this video is one of their weekly events).

At https://lcwo.net you can learn to hear the code. Don't learn it by counting dits and dahs!

73 de NW7US

PY2BRC, GM4JPZ, F8WBD and 6 others like this.
  2. WA4KCN

WA4KCN Ham Member QRZ Page

I think it may be the most popular mode in ham radio.

AD0RX, N2RRA, N7RD/SK2023 and 6 others like this.
  3. 2E0TWD

2E0TWD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I’m quite sure nobody would dispute the point. I’ve never heard anybody say “Morse code is Dead”.

N4CKC, K6VOX, N7RD/SK2023 and 8 others like this.
  4. G3SEA

G3SEA Ham Member QRZ Page

All of the points made by NW7US are valid.
    However it's the speed of many of the heard cw signals ( The CW Sprint for example ) that has always been a deterrent to many Hams wanting to learn code. It is however a mode worth learning for many of those points made above.
    G3SEA/KH6

N6PG, VE7DXW and PY2NEA like this.
  5. KW0U

KW0U Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree, it can be very satisfying to learn, practice and use code. My experience was learning it when you had to do it for licensing, and that wasn't fun. But now that the pressure is off it is a pleasant challenge, and I've been working to get my speed back up. And Tomas is right--to get any decent speed you need to hear the whole letter, not just count dits and dahs (and I can see how professionals start hearing whole words too). If you want goals, the ARRL has a nice certificate for copying code from an easy 10 wpm all the way to 40, HB9HQX offers pins for proficiency in their downloadable program, and I believe the RSGB and some other national societies also offer Morse awards. Anyway, it's fun to use; I floored one of my students when I said that her phone was sending "SMS" before each text announcement.

6. W7MBR

W7MBR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

7. W7MBR

W7MBR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Military's around the world including the U.S. are still teaching Morse Code especially to their Special Forces
    because the equipment needed for CW is minimal and it can be heard under adverse conditions when other
    modes of communication cannot. It is an art form when done right and a real pleasure to listen to. Almost musical.
    I think the ARRL and FCC together removed the code requirement from the Amateur Radio exams for two main reasons.
    Our ranks were shrinking some so they thought removing the "outdated" Morse Code would bring in more people to the hobby.
    Secondly, the equipment manufactures with ARRL approval would have a larger and perhaps less technically inclined "Operators" to sell to.
    Things do change but not always for the better. I agree with the Author that Morse Code is still alive and well despite organized efforts
    to eliminate it. Try it you will like (love) it! W7MBR

WA6YPE, F8WBD, N3GY and 4 others like this.
  8. N0SAP

N0SAP Ham Member QRZ Page

First of all using CW is not a speed contest, it's about communicating. If you can only copy 10 WPM you are communicating. Do not be afraid to send QRS to another operator if he is sending too fast. Too many times I hear a someone come back so fast the other operator will send QSB or QRM just to end the QSO. Do not be afraid to send QRS to another operator is he is sending too fast. Morse Code should be fun, do not make a chore, or you will lose interest. It is like learning a second language it takes using it daily to perfect just like another foreign language. CW is not for everyone just like Digital Modes are not my bag. But if you interested in learning Morse Code, you must put in the time, you can't learn it and not use it often.

G4NAK, 2E0WPW, IS0GVH and 9 others like this.
  9. KI4POT

KI4POT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Meh. I don't think I've ever heard anyone claim CW was dead, nor have I noticed any organized efforts to "kill" it (I don't view removing it as a requirement as "killing" it as a mode). I don't know CW myself, but one day I'll take time to learn. It's a good fit with my main interests in amateur radio, so it's a forgone conclusion I'll get around to it eventually.

Chris

10. AD0IM

AD0IM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If I had been forced to learn code to get my ticket, I wouldn't be here. Now that I am here, I've learned code at my own pace and continue to work on improving speed. 98% percent of contacts are now completed in code, though the occasional operator who won't slow down for me is disappointing.

N2OKA, K1KTF, N7KO and 4 others like this.
  11. AA1PR

AA1PR Ham Member QRZ Page

Ive only heard it from those that want everything for free & dont feel like working to learn the simple language

12. KC8UD

KC8UD Ham Member QRZ Page

It's a language and an art form worth keeping alive. The invention of the the telegraph and Morse code was life changing world wide. No other invention since has had such a world wide impact.
    May I recommend an interesting book on the life of Samuel F.B. Morse and his incredible struggles with his invention..."Lightning Man". I found a used copy on Amazon. It's an incredible story with so much more to it than telegraphs and developing the code. Once you read this book you will be proud to know and use Morse code.

13. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Morse code is not dead as an enjoyable mode of communications--which offers plenty of advantages--for hams.

Morse code is dead for military and commercial communications.

N7RD/SK2023 and VE7DXW like this.
  14. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Not everybody wants to learn the language of Morse--or doesn't know they want to. Just like not everybody wants to use RTTY or FT8. ;)

15. WO3C

WO3C Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree with SAP. CW should be fun. Speed is not important. Communicating is important. You should
    realize that you just experienced a conversation using nothing more than on-off keying. The original
    digital communications! I've been licensed 58 years. Still enjoy CW. Still enjoy QSO's at 16 to 20 wpm, max.

Nick
    SKCC 2478T

F8WBD and VE7DXW like this.