It’s done...All mode shack in a box!!!

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by W4EGE, Oct 14, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
  1. W4EGE

W4EGE Ham Member QRZ Page

this all started with a “hmmm...I wonder if I can do that”?

It started with the desire of powering an HF radio with a Ryobi battery. Early testing said it was possible...but not really practical. So...I took the idea and thought about making a two power source approach...that ended up being three.

[​IMG]

So...some planning and guessing and woodworking happened. And this was result...this is the inside of the box midway...
    [​IMG]

And here is the top...
    [​IMG]

The bottom stored the main battery, tuner and sdr switch. The top panel was the accessories used for cooling fans, lighting and usb power. Glue guns are your friend...

Here is the case... a pelican 1610. Note the switches and charge port. I isolated the charging circuit from the main power bus and ensured protection with a 15 amp anti-backfeed diode.

[​IMG]

Here is the side which is the top of the box since rollers are on the opposite side. HF on the left and vhf uhf on the right.

[​IMG]

After a while things started to take shape. I started this in may and realized how much work it was going to be that I put it off until two weeks ago while I slowly accumulated fittings and bits and bobs.

Here it is...

[​IMG]

The space on the left was intended to accommodate a budipole, surface tablet, aux battery, and sdr brains. The Ft100d is mounted on a double pivot to allow some access and to adjust the angle of the radio when in use. To the bottom right is the tuner remote and lamp switch. Top right is a fan and the fun box in the middle back is a CV/CC buck converter for the aux system.

[​IMG]

Here it is doing its thing! Once I sorted out all of the ins and outs I can have this radio from the closet to decoding in under 5 minutes. I’m not sure of the run time...but I’m not worried about it. The Aux power can run at full power for 24 hours minimum and the main power is more than adequate for 4-5 hours of mixed use. And if it’s not...plug it in to any 12v source..it’s regulated!

I think this took about 120 hours and a fair amount of planning. I’m thinking of selling it already because it was rather fun to build!!! I think I want to build another one soon! Videos to follow once they are uploaded.

Thanks for having a look.

DK7OB and W7UUU like this.