Issues with shipping to an APO address...

Discussion in 'Swapmeet Talk' started by AE4LH, Jun 22, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
ad: l-BCInc
  1. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

My #2 son spent 20 years as a USAF officer mostly in EU and a few of the old Soviet republics such as Georgia and Ukraine and had APO and DPO addresses and was usually having troubles getting stuff from the US.

The solution was to get things shipped to me here in NH and then it was cheap from here to NYC where it entered the "system". He reciprocated by picking up cheap electronics, vacuum tubes, etc and sending via the same paths.

Carl

2. AE4LH

AE4LH Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Carl. I have family members who’ve offered this option. I may take them up on the offer, but a few of the responses to my question have been very helpful to understanding the seller’s perspective. Have a great weekend, 73 de David AE4LH

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

APO addresses are for "mail."

I've used them lots of times for mail, and it seems to get through.

But the USPS will not handle very large, heavy items -- they have limits on that, unlike UPS and FedEx and DHL and stuff.

If you want something small and light that can go through the mail system, I see no problems.

If you want a KWS-1, I see a big problem.:p I'd think you'd need to set up a drop point at a local DHL or FedEx depot and have anything large and heavy shipped there.