Issues with shipping to an APO address...

Discussion in 'Swapmeet Talk' started by AE4LH, Jun 22, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-BCInc
ad: l-assoc
  1. AE4LH

AE4LH Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello. I am in the US military, and stationed in Europe. When I ask people if they would be willing to ship to an APO address (for those who may not know it is a US address). A few have said yes, but the overwhelming majority will not ship to an APO. After so many have said they will not ship to an APO I started wondering if it is more difficult to ship to APO, AE than to (for example) Winder, GA.

73 de David AE4LH

2. VA3VF

VA3VF Guest

It's likely misinformation on their part.

So many scams these days, that when they see something different, they step back. It's not what they may think it is, but I also do not blame them.

K2HAT likes this.
  3. AE4LH

Thank you.

4. K2HAT

K2HAT QRZ Volunteer Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

Your Forum Signature shows Italy, Aviano Air Base, Italy
    your QRZ Page APO Box is for RAF Mildenhall, England.

PSC 37 denotes RAF Mildenhall,

That is enough to make me freak out.

5. AE4LH

Just moved two days ago. The attempts to purchase were made while in the UK. I'll update the license when household goods arrive. But, when everything was consistently UK would it have been a concern?

6. K2HAT

K2HAT QRZ Volunteer Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

With an Army PO Box, maybe not as big a problem, I am ignorant about them, when I turned 18 the Draft was over and I did not volunteer,
    Vietnam was basically just over; I was glad almost all my Cousins and my one Uncle came back on 2 feet.

I have never sent or been asked to send to an Armed Forces PO Box,
    I would guess that if the USPS has no problems then I would be willing to do so. New Lesson for me today.

I will not ship anything except to USA, I will not ship anything over about 10 lbs, packing anything large or heavy is a royal pain.

I prefer to use the USPS Priority Mail with tracking and insurance. The USPS Website is much better than 5 years ago. :)

W3ESE likes this.
  7. VA3VF

VA3VF Guest

I think there is also FPO, for State Department personnel serving overseas.

Shipping to the 51st is not usually a problem, except that the cost has sky rocketed recently.

I do understand the 'avoidance', as I have been on the losing end a couple of times.

8. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

If you are shipping to a military base or diplomatic location, you'll be using an APO, FPO or DPO address.

GovX makes this process easy! APO stands for Army Post Office and is associated with Army or Air Force installations.

FPO
    stands for Fleet Post Office and is associated with Navy installations and ships.

DPO is for the state folks.

There are seven main components to a valid APO, FPO or DPO address.

1. The name of the recipient. The rank/grade/rating is not required.
    2. The type of address where the mail is going. This could include:
    • PSC (Postal Service Center)
    • CMR (Community Mail Room)
    • UMR (Unit Mail Room) or just Unit
    • RPO (Regional Post Office)
    • APO (Army Post Office)
    • OMDC (Official Mail Distribution Center)
    • For Navy or Coast Guard vessels, the ship’s name and hull number.
    The APO/FPO is where the USPS turns the mail over to the military for delivery and where 'incoming' mail is dropped into the USPS.

One perk is that if in an active combat zone - one just writes ;free; where the stamp would go, the mail cancelled by the .mil and out it goes.

When our son's unit (USMC) was operating in the hinterlands of Iraq, we would get 'postcards' made from ration wrappers.
    [​IMG]

KL1T, AE4LH, W3ESE and 1 other person like this.
  9. WA3Z

WA3Z Ham Member QRZ Page

These are the issues I encountered both having an APO/FPO address and shipping to APO/FPO addresses.

The USPS can't track packages once they enter the military side of the postal system. It's often difficult to tell the difference between a lost package and one that's just extremely delayed.

Some people don't want to go through the added step of filling out and attaching a customs card or they've been improperly informed about duties/taxes.

They incorrectly assume that the price to ship to an APO/FPO is more than shipping to the lower 48.

Insurance claims on items damaged in shipment can be more complicated.

It limits option in shipping carriers because only the USPS ships to APO/FPO addresses.

An option that worked for me is to have the item shipped to someone you trust stateside and then have that trusted person send it to you. Although when sending something to an address not your own expect the seller to insist on a money order or PayPal in advance of shipping.

10. AE4LH

I suppose I'm used to using the customs form. But, it is a nuisance. I also had not considered the insurance claim possibility. I've been fortunate to not have had damage either to my addresses, whether at the home base or downrange. Of course, flipflops being sent to the desert don't have much of a chance for damage (famous last words!). Thank you for your insights and your suggestion.