Issue with FTM-100D beacon transmitting

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by KI7OST, Nov 16, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KI7OST

KI7OST Ham Member QRZ Page

I am having an issue where my FTM-110D is transmitting an APRS beacon all the time regardless of what frequency I am tuned to. I figured out this was happening while sitting on 146.520 and heard someone come on and complain about a beacon transmitting. I was driving around and a while later a 2nd person complained of the same thing.

I was able to figure out it was me because the radio transmit light is flashing that it is "transmitting analog audio" every 30 seconds. Which is the transmission rate I had set for the beacon. When I turned off the APRS beacon the transmissions and the complaints stop.

The part I don't understand is why the beacon is transmitting when I'm on a frequency other that 144.390. I shouldn't have to turn the beacon on/off everytime I want to do something with APRS.

2. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Then why is there a user selectable option to "turn the thing off"?

3. KI7OST

True but I wouldn't expect that I have to dig 5 steps deep into the menu every time start or stop doing anything with aprs. Why would it transmit a beacon on a frequency that isn't capable of doing anything with the beacon except annoy everyone else that happens to be listening?

I know the FTM-100 isn't the most robust transceiver out there but this can't be right. I'm hoping there is a setting I'm missing.

4. KE5MC

KE5MC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The Kenwood 710 and my current FTM-400 both have a BEACON OFF/ON menu selects. You are not missing anything for the 100. There is a manual transmit from the beacon receive screen which is easy to get to. I think the 100 is better used in a manual aprs transmit mode because of its limitation compared to dual receive and transmit radios like the 710 and 400. While 144.39 is the common used frequency its not the only one used. For special events (bike rides) moving to a unique frequency is not unusual.

Mike

5. K6CPO

K6CPO Ham Member QRZ Page

You're assuming that this function exists in the radio when it doesn't. The FTM-400XDR is exactly the same way. The APRS modem beacons on whatever frequency the sub band is set on. I have accidentally beaconed on my club's repeater frequency more than once. To the best of my knowledge, no Yaesu radio with APRS built-in shuts off beaconing automatically when the radio is shifted of of 144.390.

6. KI7OST

Thank you guys. I guess that's the way it is.