ad: elecraft

Issue #8: QRO with the Legal Limit Mercury LUX

Discussion in 'Trials and Errors - Ham Life with an Amateur' started by W7DGJ, Jan 18, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W7DGJ

W7DGJ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Please join this forum discussion and post your questions and comments about this in-depth review of the KM3KM Electronics Mercury LUX amplifier. If you haven't seen the column, you'll find it at this link.

2. W7DGJ

3. W7DGJ

You can also join the user support group for the Mercury LUX amplifier at Steve Bennion's (W7DJ) Facebook group for the products of KM3KM Electronics, at this link. This is an unaffiliated but great group of hams offering their ideas and support for Mercury owners.

4. K4RHS

K4RHS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Great article. I see in the picture you posted have the Mercury AT tuner along with the LUX. I see on their website the AT has a limit of 1200 watts. Not mentioned in the article, have you experienced any issues or heard from other operators running the LUX beyond 1200 watts with the AT tuner online?

5. W7DGJ

Thanks for the nice comment, Ray. The numbers I posted on the LUX review were real output, but done in only short testing blasts, as opposed to lengthy QSOs. I'm not a big ragchewe; I'm more of a short discussion, DX-chasing kind of ham! In those kinds of QSOs, I have no problem running my LUX and AT Combination up to 1300-1400 watts (KM3KM specs are ALWAYS ultra conservative). But that's totally unauthorized and "off spec." Still, it doesn't even get hot. I think Kenny is designing a new Lux-style AT, but it will likely be a different beast entirely. I love my Merc AT, as it is perfect for my antenna. Dave

K4RHS likes this.
  6. AC9YY

AC9YY Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Almost makes me want to upgrade from the Mercury IIIs to the LUX.

7. W7DGJ

Hi Jim, the company should have some kind of trade-in policy! But with resale prices so high, you could simply get on "the list" and know that you'll be getting fairly close to what you paid for it when you sell. Then, you'll have to fork up the difference . . . Dave

AC9YY likes this.
  8. KG5RSV

KG5RSV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Would like to know how to get the analog meters on the screen ?

9. KC8P

KC8P XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Double tap on the Forward Power bar.....

10. KG5RSV

KG5RSV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Finally got it to work thanks. And Love it.

KC8P likes this.
  11. WD8JTR

WD8JTR Ham Member QRZ Page

12. W7DGJ

13. K2XT

K2XT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What is the reason or the benefit of having the band selection cable connected to the transceiver? I don't get it, the rig can detect the band change and switch instantly. Unless maybe having a different antenna programmed per band allows you to use the proper antenna before you transmit any rf. Maybe I just answered my own question. It never came up here because I switch antennas externally (a remote antenna switch is not in the shack and just a single cable comes in.)

14. W7DGJ

Hi Rick, I guess you are correct, but also I think that direct connection is better for those who are remote users. For me, I like the fact that I can just be in receive, ready to pounce on DX, and I see that my amp is following me around the bands no matter where I go. Instant RF output. Is that alone worth the price difference between the LUX and it's little bro? Probably not. But it's a part of a feature set that makes the upgrade worthwhile, Dave

15. KC8P

KC8P XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You partially answered your question, but there is another reason - the signal from the RF Detector is less reliable and slower.

From the manual:

RF Decoder: If the RF Decoder is selected on Radio Band Data section it will be in AUTO Mode which selects the 6-meter band when the amplifier starts up. A signal emitted by the transceiver selects the appropriate Low Pass Filter. Note: In SSB mode the radio will not emit RF until modulated; 200 milliwatts are needed to detect the current frequency. Some transceivers make a small click when you press PTT, which is enough to quickly detect the appropriate segment. If there is not enough signal level or the mic gain is too low, it may cause a delay in the decoder

W7DGJ and K2XT like this.