ad: TinyPaddle-1

Issue #19 - Radio's Battle of the Century

Discussion in 'Trials and Errors - Ham Life with an Amateur' started by W7DGJ, May 25, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. W7DGJ

W7DGJ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Please join us here for discussion about the early history of radio and the remarkable feat that amateurs pulled off in 1921! See the article at this link.

VK5OHR likes this.
  2. W7DGJ

From Tom at Early Radio History- the "reward" that amateur wireless operators got when they committed to help the cause, of the Battle of the Century! WJYvinc.jpg

Last edited: May 26, 2023
    VK5OHR, HA2ZB and AE8EM like this.
  3. KT4PH

KT4PH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Quite and interesting tale, something I never heard of before, thank you for the article.

VK5OHR and W7DGJ like this.
  4. W7DGJ

Thank you John!

5. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

VK5OHR likes this.
  6. W7DGJ

Thanks Tom. Early Radio History gave us a copy of the original certificate issued, above. That's an interesting article but it runs nearly 10,000 words, or the size of several chapters of a book. An average book has as many as 70,000 or more words. To put an article like that up in my column would be a mistake, as each issue here is supposed to be in the 1200-1500 words category. It's been proven that when the word count goes past 2,000 words, readership of an online document drops by more than half.

The story doesn't need 10,000 words to tell. I liked the Guardian's article about the fight from a couple of years ago on its 100th anniversary. That one is located at this link.

If one was really interested in exploring the myths, the exaggerations (David Sarnoff and the RCA "machine" were great at this), than it would be a fun read. Dave

VK5OHR likes this.
  7. WU4I

WU4I XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you for the history lesson. Eagerly awaiting for the next chapter in the beginnings of radio broadcasting!
    73’s
    WU4I

KF7WIS and W7DGJ like this.
  8. N7LT

N7LT Ham Member QRZ Page

Interesting article! At first I thought you might be talking about the Dempsey vs Gibbons fight. I sounded SO much like this same fight that happened... of all places... Shelby, Montana, near the Canadian border on July 4th, 1923! Hopefully you get the attached QSL card of W7AMK's which is a duplicate of the ticket sold at that fight with a description of the fight!

73 de N7LT
    Lyndel Thiesen
    Kalispell, Montana
    Montana Amateur Radio Historian
    Glacier-Waterton International Peace Park Hamfest Historian
    "The oldest-continuous running hamfest in the world!"

Attached Files:

9. KQ4BPZ

KQ4BPZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Awesome story. Thank you for this column and what you do.

W7DGJ likes this.
  10. W7DGJ

Thank you Rafael! Much appreciated. If you have any suggestions on how to get more traffic, I found out at Hamvention that lots of people pass up the column because they think it is just another of the YouTube's that are displayed continuously on the QRZ front page. I have no issues with YouTube, and I think we need to drop our "no YouTube" comment, but I still could use some good ideas on how to get more traffic. Thanks, Dave

11. WA1ZJL

WA1ZJL Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually the no you tube comment was why I started reading your column. You tube as you say may be fine but I'm not interested in getting out headphones every time I see an article. (I'm very hearing impaired) Some of your articles I find more interesting than others but all are good reading. Keep it up!!

12. W7DGJ

Thanks! Toss out ideas of what kinds of things you like, and I pay very close attention . . . Dave

13. OA4DVG

OA4DVG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Great article! Thanks a lot!

W7DGJ likes this.