ad: M2Ant-1

Issue 16: Traits and Common Threads Across Radio Innovation

Discussion in 'Trials and Errors - Ham Life with an Amateur' started by W7DGJ, Apr 13, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. W7DGJ

W7DGJ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Steve, this is a great story. And yes, you're sure right about the definition in terms . . . I've placed inventors into small companies that became large because of their technology. But, just as important to organizations is the person capable of innovating. For example, an engineer may not "invent" a technology that improves reception of shortwave signals, but he or she may innovate a new way to use existing technologies in combination to greatly improve the receive side of a transceiver. Now, that's just as important as something new, something invented. To the supplier of that product, it kicks sales right in the butt and puts more of their product in our hands. The problem with pure "invention" is that sometimes inventors don't really see it through to the real world applications of their new discovery. I can't tell you how many firms I've worked with that had really "cool" technology but where it just wasn't practical, or where they couldn't develop a marketplace to pull it along to success. They got the patent, they moved on, and the technology just sits there. Happens too often. It's great to have an inventor coupled with an engineer or two who can revise, adapt, and a marketer who knows how to present it properly to get the "market pull" that it is capable of generating. Dave, W7DGJ

KW4H likes this.