ad: AbAuRe-1

Issue 15: Great Ham Radio Products from Eastern Europe

Discussion in 'Trials and Errors - Ham Life with an Amateur' started by W7DGJ, Mar 30, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. W7DGJ

W7DGJ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for the note. I completely forgot about ACOM. I honestly don't know much about the company. I've written them before to suggest that they get an SS amp in for review as a loaner, but they never replied. You're right - that would have been a solid addition. I had two articles - one about Eastern Europe ham gear, and one a review of a Polish Cobweb. They got combined, which seemed logical. Please keep reading! Another Short Takes review column comes on Wednes next week, those publish every other week between the "Trials and Errors -- Ham Life with an Amateur" columns. This one features a really outrageous Shortwave Listening web tool, a review of the book "The CW Way of Life" and a review of Stu Turner's new book (the Extra Class Ham study guide.) Dave

2. W7DGJ

Just to let readers know . . . my testing on the Polish Cobweb (AWK Antennas) was originally with a Xiegu G90, at 20W. This weekend I had a blast putting some power into the antenna. It's still sitting in that temporary location as shown in the photo in the article (8-9' up, outside my wall next to a cactus). With my Mercury LUX amp operating at 500-600W, I was able to connect today to the far East Coast, W1AW (yeah!) and to Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, and southern Brazil on 10 M. Really nice to see that the antenna does well under QRO conditions and I'll let you know what happens after I get it up on my rooftop! Dave, W7DSGJ

3. W7DGJ

More testing . . . Just ran some LUX numbers to see what kind of drive I needed to get 500-600W output on this antenna. It's still sitting at 8 ft up on a temporary mast in my backyard. Last night I got Nieu Island, Russia, and more on it with about 500W SSB. Thought I'd run a chart of power needed by my IC-7300 with the LUX:
    6 Meters - 24 W = 500+ W
    10 Meters - 12W = 500+ W
    12 Meters - 12W = 500+ W
    15 Meters - 9 W = 500+ W
    20 Meters - 8 W = 500+ W
    All of the above were resonant under 1.6 SWR, and then I used the Mercury tuner on 40, which was a BIG mismatch (8-to-1 or more; surprised to see it tune.)
    40M - 9 W = 500 W at 1.3 SWR tuned
    I'm using 100 Ft. of RG-213 to the shack with 120v. 500 W on LUX amplifier is just loafing along.

4. OA4DVG

OA4DVG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks Dave for the new article! I enjoy them, way more than the youtube stuff. Most of the times I'm on the run with little time to thank you, I apologise by that. Again, thanks for your work!

5. W7DGJ

Thanks so much Guille for the nice comment! Yes, QRZ is the only place I know of that has published NEW content every week or two with a "No YouTube Guarantee" ! Dave, W7DGJ

6. K7NGS

K7NGS Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

thanks for the article, the antenna switch is EXACTLY what I was looking for but isn't several hundred dollars.

7. W7DGJ

Right -- I felt the same way!

8. W0AZ

W0AZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Fantastic Bulgarian amps from Acom, now readily available again—for a while they were hard to come by.

I LOVE my Acom 1010.

9. W7DGJ

Thanks Steve! I will shortly be reviewing a brand new Acom model in these pages. Stay tuned! Dave

10. GM4JPZ

GM4JPZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks, Dave, for an interesting, informative article. You have now been added to the top of my list of Must Reads, which already contains more than I can read in my remaining lifetime. The remote antenna switch just has to be bought, although I promised my wife that the LDG AT-100Proll Autotuner was to be my last larger purchase. However, at under £100 ($109) I'm able to sell the idea much easier, so here goes!

I also very much appreciated your understated comment on the ongoing David and Goliath situation in the area you were discussing. Fences are not for sitting on.

BTW, my Acom 1200S has been a great addition to my list of equipment. It just works.

11. W7DGJ

Thanks Colin! Yes, I'm going to review a brand new ACOM model in the next month. Also, you're right about XYL's . . . you can often sneak a smaller purchase and they don't catch wind! Dave

12. W4KMH

W4KMH Ham Member QRZ Page

Last edited: Apr 10, 2023
  13. W7DGJ

Thank you Kenneth (Ken?) - appreciate your nice comment, but also the validation for the antenna switch. It's a beauty. I'll check out Sergey's gear shortly. Regards, Dave,W7DGJ