ad: ProAudio-1

Issue 13: Behind the Curtain of a Secret Language

Discussion in 'Trials and Errors - Ham Life with an Amateur' started by W7DGJ, Feb 27, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N1RBD

N1RBD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I slowed it down. He made an number of mistakes in keying, particularly sending TSE instead of THE multiple times. Also heard ADJUITMENT instead of ADJUSTMENT. Seems like he was dropping a dit on S and H sometimes.

I was always taught that accuracy should be paramount over speed. Still, considering he was fairly accurate sending at 50wpm, it is undoubtedly something to be admired.

2. W7DGJ

W7DGJ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Cool, thanks . . . sounded like RTTY to me. Dave

3. KE6JB

KE6JB Ham Member QRZ Page

Great to see that CW is still used and discussed. I first became a ham in 1969 and still hold the phased-out Advanced class license. I think it's the only license class that is proof of code proficiency, since all of the current classes can be obtained without code. I never got much beyond the required 13 WPM, but can still send and copy after 50 years, even though I rarely use it.

Every so often I have a Walter Mitty fantasy of saving lives with code knowledge - maybe being stranded on an island with a handheld with a broken mike.

KE6JB
    https://2wayRadioGuide.com

W7DGJ likes this.
  4. W7DGJ

Hi Jon - Funny! I agree with you about CW sticking in your brain. I was licensed just a few years ahead of you, and when I came back to the hobby, I could still read and write CW. By the way, I love that new book called "The CW Way of Life." Going to review it in next Short Takes. Dave, W7DGJ

5. KT4PH

KT4PH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I wish that would have happened to me upon my return last year, I can still pick out bit and pieces of "the code" but in no way remember much more that a few letters and prowords.

I just received that book on 03/29/2023 and am looking forward to reading it, maybe it will help in the relearning of CW!

6. W7DGJ

Last edited: Apr 6, 2023
  7. KT4PH

KT4PH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Might want to check that link, it took me to the posting concerning products from eastern Europe, but managed to find the review of the book. It's pretty interesting, but I'm still only 1/4 of the way through it.

8. W7DGJ

Thank you so much for the correction, John. I just changed the link . . . it's at this one, and I appreciate your help. Dave