ad: UR5CDX-1

Issue 13: Behind the Curtain of a Secret Language

Discussion in 'Trials and Errors - Ham Life with an Amateur' started by W7DGJ, Feb 27, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W7DGJ

W7DGJ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Please join us here for discussion of Issue 13, If you haven't seen this issue, it is located at this link.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2023
    AA3C and WC5P like this.
  2. AA0RI

AA0RI Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Dave,
    I've been a VE for over 25 years and a CW op for as long. I had a large (to me) key collection when I first got re started in hamming and had over 200 various types of keys in my collection. I rotated through them on the air quite often while talking collecting keys while rag chewing. My Elmers advice when I started relearning cw was don't mess with a straight key, you're going to want to use a keyer sooner or later. Start with the iambic paddles and when you've made yourself able to send good code then play with straight keys and bugs, you'll know what good sounds like. It worked for me and I've passed on that same advice many times over the years. I use straight a straight key, a vibroplex original and an iambic paddle and enjoy them all depending on who I'm working at the time. When I sold my collection to become a full time RVer I kept a Nye J 38 type of key, a Vibroplex bug and my Kent paddles. I just recently purchased an used Begali Contour and it is impressive but I still grab the Kent most times. The Begali is a work of art and a great feeling key to use but the Kent is the most bang for the buck in my opinion. I may change my mind the more I use the Begali but I only work up to about 25 to 30 wpm max so there's not much difference in feel. I learned how to properly adjust the Begali and set my old Kent the same way. I was able to get the contact spacing the same using Begali's feeler gauge and they both feel about the same in use. CW for ever!
    73, Chuck AA0RI

US7IGN likes this.
  3. W7DGJ

Thanks for your comments Chuck. I have a Kent as well, both the dual paddle version and the single paddle Iambic. Great products. Just don't expect to get a lot of customer service out of them. I wrote them twice now, no reply. Begali just exudes customer service. Dave

4. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

About Kent Engineers and Kent Morse Keys. (kent-engineers.com)

Small (family) staff, in the UK. Could be a time management thing for the Kent folks.

W7DGJ likes this.
  5. N8TGQ

N8TGQ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I liked the article, Dave.

I guess I'm different, in that I think a straight key is the way to start. You learn the feel of sending good code, and have more "on the fly" control. I can adjust my sending speed instantly to match the other party. There's a lot less to go wrong when it's just a simple switch.

I got into radio for relaxation and to get away from the stress of the day. CW shifts my brain to another gear- I forget about day to day things and live in the moment.

It's not about how fast you are. It's about easy you are to copy. I go 15-20 WPM and have plenty of QSOs. I know a few hams that have never used their code skills because they're embarassed they can only do 10-12 WPM. What a shame.

I am a very lazy ham. I may write your call and name down, but that's it. I don't keep a log so every one I work is a "new one". I would never have a computer on my radio desk with special operating systems, logging programs or spotter sites. I want to play radio, not work on computers.

I guess I consider CW to be a craft like woodworking, not a sport like football. It's how well I can adapt to the situation, not what can I buy to make things faater and easier.

I have one straight key my dad gave me when I was in 4th grade. Everything else is homebrew. None of them are works of art, but they're tailored just to my liking and work well.

I just wanted to share another side if the coin!

Have fun! Rick N8TGQ

Last edited: Feb 28, 2023
    US7IGN and VK5OHR like this.
  6. W7DGJ

Rick, great comments thanks. It shows you how each of us takes the connection to our key a bit differently. But, all of us, no matter whether it's your home-brew key or a $1500 collectors item, connects back to whoever made that key. It's the only part of radio like that. I don't think a Mic has anything in common.

7. K7RLN

K7RLN Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the article. I became a ham in 2016 as a middle-ager, looking for a hobby (found a great one...). When I started, I really had no predilection to learn the code, because I didn't need to. I just wanted the ability to talk to the other side of the world. But, I went to a Field Day, and saw a guy working CW at one of our clubs stations, and had one of those 'Holy crap! How cool is that?' type of moments. I started learning the code at that point, and haven't looked back. I've had some Elmers along the way - one that started a slow-code CW net that I participated in, and the other who was the guy doing CW at the club station give me some advice. He essentially told me to lock up the microphone, and throw away the key! While I didn't quite do that, I took that sentiment to heart, and realized that if I wanted to learn the code I needed to put the microphone aside, which I did. He also suggested that I get involved with SKCC, and participate there, which I also did. I've even gone so far to volunteer to do the K3Y special event stations for them in January, which has been a lot of fun. Bottom line is that those things gave me the confidence to get on the air with CW.

I learned on an iambic paddle, because that's what I had available to me at the time. I did find the more I practiced with that, along with lcwo.net, that those skills automatically transferred to using a Straight Key. Maybe it's because like every one has said - you learn what good code is supposed to sound like. I do find myself writing down what I hear during ragchew QSO's, which I'm sure slows me down. I'm currently practicing at 24 WPM on lcwo.net, but feel I can copy fairly comfortably at 17-18 WPM when I'm ragchewing. I do try to just tune in, and listen to QSOs, just to see how much I can head-copy. Unfortunately, I still get lost in that process, so I still have a long way to go, even after 3 1/2 years into my CW journey.

One question I had. I have always recommended to people to learn on a Straight Key, even though I didn't learn that way. I wonder if I'm doing them a dis-service by telling them this? What do you and others think?

8. VK5OHR

VK5OHR Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh Ralph & Rick thank you, my sentiments exactly. Thanks for saying it so well.

Cheers... Bob

Last edited: Feb 28, 2023
    W7DGJ likes this.
  9. K5RIX

K5RIX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I never thought it so thoroughly. It made sense to start with a straight key so you could learn how good code felt to send. Less and less writing came naturally as one "graduated" to the point one only needed to write down things like calls, locations, and other details. All the while speed and comprehension improved. Each to his (her...) own.

Nice article!

N1RBD, K7RLN and W7DGJ like this.
  10. K9UR

K9UR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Great article and some excellent advice on head copy and starting with paddles.

begali paddles are the best. I’ve not found any that I like more than the ones made by Pietro Begali in Italy. Super products. First and second runner up is the Mercury paddle by N2DAN and the Magnikeyer no longer made.

Good article !

W7DGJ likes this.
  11. W7DGJ

I think I am going to start suggesting a paddle to start with, and turn the keyer speed way down. A part of my early issues with the code (when I was a kid) was that I had a weird dit-length and dot-length. Yes, they could tell it was my "fist" and still understand, but a keyer/paddle sure made my coming back to code smoother. Dave

Last edited: Mar 1, 2023
    K9UR likes this.
  12. W7DGJ

Nice comments. I know Pietro is reading this -- he will enjoy. Dave

K9UR likes this.
  13. KG8FH

KG8FH Ham Member QRZ Page

Fantastic information! I earned my first license in the late 1980's as a Novice. I had wanted to be a ham since the early 1970's, but the Code seemed to be an obstacle. I finally learned enough to get that first ticket, and I was primarily limited to CW ops. I am a musician (professional and academic), and when I finally began to send with a straight key, the natural rhythm of the characters just seemed to open up to me. I love using a straight key and am proud of the sound of my "fist". I also enjoy using a keyer and paddles. Perhaps one day, I will spring for a Begali! I have become somewhat of a collector of keys. Thanks for the great article and interviews! I am enjoying your columns!

'73 de KG8FH/Jeff

14. W7DGJ

Wow Jeff, great comments thank you, you made my day! I know that Pietro is reading, and he'll enjoy your comments as well. I totally agree with you about how the natural rhythm of the code just "clicks" at some point in time (especially for musicians!). People say that CW is a dying art. I don't think so. I think there will be a resurgence of interest in this part of the radio hobby, and I know the bands will benefit as a result. Dave, W7DGJ

15. W7DGJ

I know speed doesn't matter all THAT much, but just for fun, check out this video of a fellow in Italy operating one of Pietro's high-end models, it's impressive as all get out. 50 WPM???

N1RBD likes this.