ad: elecraft

Issue #11: Field Day 2023 with the Mountain Topper Radio and Bandhopper!

Discussion in 'Trials and Errors - Ham Life with an Amateur' started by W7DGJ, Feb 1, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W7DGJ

W7DGJ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Please join us for discussion on the article, which you'll find at this link. I had so much fun writing this article, it's amazing to me that I can still be so excited by radios. This thing is the size of my transistor radio when I was age 12 oe 13, in bed at night picking out the fade-in, fade-out DX AM radio stations from Chicago or St. Louis, New York, etc. I can feel those memories, literally, when I pick up this radio. I love ALL THINGS RADIO. How about you?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2023
  2. W8VFM

W8VFM Ham Member QRZ Page

Sure enjoyed reading Dave Jensens article on the MTR4B Mountain Topper. Makes me want one of these fine QRP rigs even more, Hi! 73, Ned W8VFM

W7DGJ likes this.
  3. W7DGJ

Thanks Ned! Happy to hear that. I had a blast with this little guy. Dave

4. KA4EVR

KA4EVR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Very much enjoyed reading Dave Jensens article on the LNR MTR5B Mountain Topper. I just received mine a few weeks ago and am excited about taking it to the field. I also ordered the 9V adapter.

W7DGJ likes this.
  5. W7DGJ

Thanks Mark! Super glad we're hitting the mark with our column, Dave for QRZ

6. N8TGQ

N8TGQ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Great article! I've been using the original 3-b for about 6 years now and never felt a need to upgrade.

Using paddles greatly increases frequency agility. You can key in the frequency almost as fast as turning a dial.

I built mine into an old portable hard drive case from the thrift store. Everything stays hooked up, so you just have to connect your antenna and you're on the air!

With everything connected an attatched to a thin pallet, you can hold the rig in your hand and not even need a bench or table.

Lots of fun!

Attached Files:

W7DGJ likes this.
  7. W7DGJ

Hi Rick, great go bag. Mine's all flopping around loose. What's the green circuit board gadget? Dave

8. W7DGJ

Here are a few additional photos from my article this week. You'll see the SARC team in action with the rollout of the QRO station and some additional pics of the surrounding area for my antenna installation. Check out the spines on that Cactus, and the prickly Palo Verde tree! There are two photos of the Sotabeams Bandhopper as well. Dave

SARC Field Day 2023.jpg Arizona Antenna Tie off PaloVerde.jpg Arizona Antenna Tie-up.jpg Sotabeams Clip.jpg Sotabeams 40-20 Dipole.jpg

9. N8TGQ

It's QRP Guys' EFHW transformer. It also has an LED SWR indicator and tuning capacitor. QRP kits also sells a version.

10. W7DGJ

Thanks for that info. I'll check that out, but as long as I'm using such a resonant dipole with my rig, I won't need it. It could be easier in a lot of situations to use an end-fed wire, and I might just consider that. That way, you're only working with one tie down, and not dealing with center support and both ends, right? In Arizona, these "tie downs" are a major hassle with every bush so short, no huge trees, and with everything trying to snap at you or tweak you with a big pricker.

11. N8TGQ

Right! Plus an EFHW cut for 80m will also resonate on 40 and 20. Since I only have 40, 30 and 20 on mine, my EFHW is cut for 40 and gives me 20 also. I wind the wire in to abt 45' to get 30m.

W7DGJ likes this.
  12. W7STS

W7STS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It was really nice doing an eyeball QSO this weekend Dave. Thank you for the kind words about the club as well. Let us know if you need a bucket truck house call, it's could be a benefit of "club" membership :) I expect more opportunities for you to exercise the QRP rig as we are planning some "in the park" outings later in the year.
    Rick - W7STS

W7DGJ likes this.
  13. AE8EM

AE8EM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Morning Dave, It was 40 degrees and a little windy here in northwest Ohio for field day this year. Hi Hi. Like you I grew up in Cleveland. Not bad made a bunch of contacts on 20m with G90 and a JPC-12 antenna. I ran at 10w. From Ohio I got AZ, Couple of Canadian stations and DX to Spain and Cuba. I had lotsa fun out in a park on a nice sunny day playing radio. Another great article. Thanks again.

14. W7DGJ

Thanks Bill! We have very similar portable stations. I have actually gotten more CW fun out of of 3-5 W on the Mountain Topper than my G90, but I take the G90 out because I'm still a Sideband guy as well. Nice field day report! Dave

15. NI5L

NI5L Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Dave, I really enjoy your writings. They are a refeshing break from the all-too-common lame videos on QRZ. Thank you for eschewing You Tube and communicating in writing.
    Warren
    NI5L