ISS SSTV EVENTs 2-3 April and 11-14 April !

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by IW2BSF, Mar 28, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks.

No more RFI but i'm not sure where some of those artifacts at the beginning are coming from.

There's also a little "ghosting" in the text at the end. Perhaps the volume is too loud?

2. K3RLD

K3RLD Ham Member QRZ Page

Recorded from my D72/Elk via audio cable to voice recorder, and then "audio coupled" to my cell phone and decoded with Robot36:

20180413_132700_693733075.png

Pretty good, huh? Again, I'll do a direct decode tonight with QSSTV and see how they compare.

[edit] this was a 70° pass, and this image was perfectly centered on TCA

KS1G, WD9EWK and KC8VWM like this.
  3. KC8VWM

Hey that's pretty nice. :)

I tried a second decode myself and it came out without any artifact in the beginning like this...

20180413_123559_1778985230.png

I think a direct cable connection would eliminate a lot of other stuff.

KF5RHI and WD9EWK like this.
  4. KC8VWM

On AOS the ISS was already transmitting, so I only ended up getting a partial image...

20180413_124613_887770597.png

I could hear the ISS on LOS too but the signal was way too weak and fluttering so much I didn't bother.

5. KF5RHI

KF5RHI Ham Member QRZ Page

Cool! You must've had your antenna horizontally polarized to the inverse tangent of the incidence of refraction of an object moving parallel to the cosine of the reciprocal. :)

...while hopping on your left foot...or is it the right?!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
    KC8VWM likes this.
  6. K7WDO

K7WDO Ham Member QRZ Page

This so much. Events like this are a great outreach for hams and non-hams alike as it's an easy way to let people dabble in satellite communications and maybe spark their interest in exploring it more.

I've been playing around with different configurations on the passes and it's amazing how good of an image you can get with a 4-element yagi in the living room on the right pass. Switch to the big guns (M2 2MCP14 on the roof) and we're pulling good pictures out of a 11 degree pass. Gotta love that strong signal.

KC8VWM, WE4B and WD9EWK like this.
  7. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Before I got my license, I was interested in hearing the satellites, so I built a "cheap yagi" out of some PVC and old aluminum ground wire. Hooked it to an old scanner and was able to copy quite a bit. I had bought the wife an HT, and when it looked like she would never use it, I said, "Screw it, I'd better get my license so the radio doesn't go to waste!"

K6LCS and KC8VWM like this.
  8. KC8VWM

LOL.. I left my scientific calculator, laser positioning sensors and geometry set at home today.

Actually I found the best way to position my antenna was to simply look at the signal strength meter.

I know that's not very scientific or anything, but that's what got the job done.

You know you can almost tell where the ISS is positioned in the sky just by moving the antenna while observing the signal strength. I thought that was interesting.

I imagine that probably becomes more pronounced if you're using a handheld Yagi antenna.

Quite frankly, the signal from the ISS is so strong, you probably don't really need one anyways. Of course, i'm saying that knowing that i'm not using a cheapola stock rubber duck either, so mabey that's what's making the difference.

In any event I am as happy as a clam / giddy school girl etc.. to be able to pickup and decode these Images coming in live from the outermost reaches of our Earth's atmosphere from the space station. I guess i'm just another space nerd that way. :)

KS1G, WE4B, WD9EWK and 1 other person like this.
  9. KS1G

KS1G Ham Member QRZ Page

^THIS. (emphasis added) "Orient antenna for best reception" (by ear, by S-meter, by a circuit to place a voltage on wrist proportional to signal at 1st IF...) whatever works for YOU!

Explanations to orient perpendicular to the ISS, orient along the orbital path of the ISS, point away from the null in the (whip) antenna's pattern explain the why, are more accurate technically, but may be confusing to someone who just wants to receive some SSTV images from space. "I want to receive a really clear image like these other folks are posting" is when we start learning the theory behind "why this works and that doesn't."

Yes. Although the antennas have wide beam widths and are forgiving with signals as strong as from ISS. I copied the 1705 UTC pass over eastern US with Elk antenna, FT817, and audio recorder (I'll process when I get home). Even at high elevations, I could detect some variation in downlink polarization by rotating the antenna, and get a rough idea of ISS location by moving the antenna in an very wide arc.

I also used an HT sitting on car trunk to Robot36 on phone sitting next to the HT. Signal not as good as with the Elk, but still usable. Captured partial of image 11/12, and all of 12/12 (Mir). I then messed up and deleted the complete picture instead of saving! It should be on the recorder, and my home station may have received it as well.

KC8VWM and WD9EWK like this.
  10. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

I thought I had deleted my images as well,but Robot36 saved them to a "Pictures" folder on my Android phone.