ISS - No packet transmissions over Japan / Asia ?

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by KD2AFE, Jun 16, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: l-BCInc
ad: l-gcopper
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KD2AFE

KD2AFE Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi,

I just started trying to RX & TX to the ISS from Tokyo. I am a complete beginner in that area. For some reason I can't hear a peep from the ISS on 145.825 nor can I TX.

The weird thing is I can RX from BRICSAT2 & PSAT2 at very low angles and very far away but absolutely nothing from the ISS even when it is in a very good position from my QTH.

So I got curious and started checking if I was doing something wrong. I checked if other hams in Japan were able to contact the ISS with APRS packets recently and realized that the last time it happened was over 1 month ago (on the 6th of may to be precise).

The Japanese ham are usually a very enthusiastic bunch when it comes to the hobby, including satellite communications so I am just wondering why nobody has been able to get an APRS packet through to the ISS for over 1 month.

Any ideas? Is the radio on the ISS being turned off over Asia to save batteries or something like that? I know that sometimes they switch everything off for EVAs (16th and 20th of June for example) but this has been going on for a while now, so I am just curious and trying to get a better understanding.

Thanks.

Arnaud
    JG1XMV / KD2AFE

2. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

APRS isn’t active on the ISS right now thus no packet activity. It wil swap over from the FM repeater to APRS after Field Day.

3. KD2AFE

Ok, understood, thank you!

4. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Curious are you portable /JA right now?

5. KD2AFE

When I had a FT-817 I used to operate portable and do some SOTA in Japan but not anymore (I do not have the radio anymore). I do operate portable and mobile from time to time with an ID-51 but that's for DStar. I would love to get an IC-705 but I think it is outside of my budget right now even though they do seem to have some promotions going at the moment here.
    If your question refers to whether I am in Japan temporarily and normally live in the US, I have actually been in Japan since 2000 and loving every second of it!

KG4RRH and KA2CZU like this.
  6. KD2AFE

I have checked out the cross-band repeater on the ISS today, looking at this page: https://www.ariss.org/current-status-of-iss-stations.html
    It seems there is a 67hz tone on the uplink.

It seems they do not transmit with a tone on the downlink. It is too bad. When I checked today, 437.800 was jammed non-stop by some local pirates with huge signals talking about what kind of ramen they had for lunch or their latest bowel movements. Yes, even in Japan we have those types... It's a shame. there was a good path today with good elevation, I'll keep trying.

On the positive side, I am learning a lot which is a lot of fun even with zero QSOs to show for it.